Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

105dB @ 1 mile

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 105dB @ 1 mile
    Posted: 21 July 2010 at 5:38pm
Just read this article on PSW - its quite old and I've also seen the pics accompanying it before. Still, I wonder what a similar sized system using modern components could achieve with or without the 54,000W (RMS) restriction. I know this has been talked about here before, but how many of our younger members have experienced/heard/felt  such a powerful system in the flesh?
For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2010 at 6:36pm
That's what? A rack of 10 modern amps? Scary isn't it.
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2010 at 7:07pm
Got to admit I always wondered where the phrase "Grand Funk Railroad" came from.
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
4D View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2010 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by jazomir jazomir wrote:

Just read this article on PSW - its quite old and I've also seen the pics accompanying it before. Still, I wonder what a similar sized system using modern components could achieve with or without the 54,000W (RMS) restriction. I know this has been talked about here before, but how many of our younger members have experienced/heard/felt  such a powerful system in the flesh?

Nice link... Clap
DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"
jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2010 at 9:10am
Quote That's what? A rack of 10 modern amps? Scary isn't it.
...or 3 1/2 MC2 E90s @2 ohms!
For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2010 at 11:49am
We had some massive Tycobrahe sidefills on our big touring rig in the late seventies/early eighties which were very good---We bought them from Joe Brown at TASCO in London but later replaced them with some Harwell stacks which were brain damage SPL when working with acts like Budgie and Diamond Head.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2010 at 12:04pm
Thats interesting John...im betting those Tasco/harwell cabinets were probualy the loudest single cabinets ever made,some of the early Martin stuff loaded with Gauss were also quite ferocious,but the Tasco takes the prize.....i cant think of anything else around at that time louder?
Be seeing you.
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2010 at 12:16am
It certainly was a lethal stack Ian---The 2x15 was quite tall-- over 4ft high and the mid horn of the top cabinets was right at head height---we had always had problems with the monitor levels with Budgie(the loudest backline in the world) and they were famous throughout the industry for asking for obscene volume on the sidefills as the wedges were just like p-ssing in the ocean and were really only there on stage to stop the audience getting up there----The first night we used the Harwells we were asked to turn them down halfway through the second number---Its nice to get your own back on moaning musos occasionally. 
fuzzylogic View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fuzzylogic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2010 at 12:29am
You have to love the monster horns at the bottom of the stack.....but wait... are those scoops on the first floor...?Surely not.

NEIGHBOURHOOD SOUNDSYSTEM
Infinitely baffled.

jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2010 at 10:05am
An old mate of mine, Dave Tracy, used to work for Tasco and many years ago told me about one nameless French act who he was working with who berated and hurled abuse constantly at the crew - especially about the monitor volume. Apparently the crew did what Robbo did and placed stacks of  Harwell each side of the stage covered in scrim. When the artist came on stage, somewhat the worse for wear, he immediately asked/demanded more volume and was immediately given volume 11 on the sidefills. His expression was apparently a mix of shock & fear and he also asked for the monitors to be turned down and never complained about them for the rest of the tour.
As for the scoops on the lower levels in the pic, as TonyASS will confirm, some artists (and engineers) do like them. When the Beach Boys played Crystal Palace in 1972, I believe the PA was custom built to their specs (for Marshall Equipment Hire or IES)and utilised 2 x 15 scoops using IIRC Altec drivers with aluminium, rather than copper, voice coils. The scoops were sold off after the event and a guy I knew bought several of them.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2010 at 10:50am
Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

Thats interesting John...im betting those Tasco/harwell cabinets were probualy the loudest single cabinets ever made,some of the early Martin stuff loaded with Gauss were also quite ferocious,but the Tasco takes the prize.....i cant think of anything else around at that time louder?

I've heard those huge phase plugged Tasco Harwell mids twice, and on both occasions I had to literally step back about ten metres to stop it being uncomfortable.
 Post Reply Post Reply