Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Feedback Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Light cones

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Light cones
    Posted: 06 August 2010 at 12:56pm
Been looking at 18s with 3" coils, extremely light cones and high sensitivity. Whats the deal with safe compression ratios for 18ers with cones in the 110-130g range a lot of the popular BPH designs seem to use compression ratios below 2.

Has anyone else seen the new faital 18 with a 110g ish cone and total weight of 4.7Kg or even better heard them?

Also with very light cones in reflex what is an appropriate max frequency Faital seem to think that one in particular is good up to 3k is that typical (I do realise its gonna be like a laser beam up that high)?
rich_gale View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich_gale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2010 at 5:08pm
i have run a very high efficiency 18" cerwin vega 189sc (3" coil).  up to 800hz no problem at all.  sounded lovely reflex loaded.  is it possible to design a bph with its pass band wide enough to make use of a quicker woofer with a light cone and lower power handling? - id be inclined to be using a woofer of this type in reflex situations, or horn assisted reflex (where the upper bandwidth( around 400-1000hz) of the 18" is horn loaded)-cerwin vega have used an 18" woofer in this way, but i thought it sounded horrific!  the best light coned 18 on paper is the volt radial rv4504 18" with rubber edge.  nice and low fs, but extremely light moving mass, and a 4" coil.

maybe look at the volt rv4514.  similar to the 4504 but more designed with horns in mind.  not heared it, but i imagine the change of surround from rubber(4504) to accordian(4514) will lead to a slightly higher fs and more of a harder sound.  

Edited by rich_gale - 06 August 2010 at 5:11pm
REFLEX ALL THE WAY.... (however, im playing with horns again...) That ok Mister Valiant? :)
 Post Reply Post Reply