Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > X1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mid-life crisis and the X1

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hobbyist2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mid-life crisis and the X1
    Posted: 12 March 2006 at 12:17am
Hello Everyone,

Well I have come to a crisis in my speaker buidling journey, and I'm hoping
someone has a few words of wizdom to clear my thoughts.  I have built 2 X1's
1 hd15 and 1 X15 so far.  My goal was always to use my system for live sound
with my band.  We play a mix of cumbia/hiphop and slow jamz, so I thought
my X1, HD15, and X15 combo was a good choice.  But now I think that a
different path would have been better.  I get really confused when I try to
figure out where front-loaded's loose and horns win.  What kind of venue
would be to much for 2-Gsubs and 1-X1 per side.  Most of our venues
where we would use our own sound are about 60 feet wide by 120 ft long.
But there are times when we play larger dance halls.   It just seems like in order
to get the same sound as 2 Gsubs and 1 X1 per side, i would need 1 or 2 X1's,
2 HD15's, and 1 to 2 X1's per side.  And then I wonder if instead of 2 Gsubs and
1 X15 per side, I could do 2 186 horns and 1 X15 or double 15' per side.

My X1's are great for DJ'ing, they make awesome bass, but I just think another
combination would have been better, since most people shutdown every freq
below 40hz for live, it leaves me with 40-80hz and it doesn't seem worth it.

So does anyone know just a few pros/cons or have any clarity.  Is the 186 horn
a better investment over the Gsub because it can do small and large venues,
where as the Gsubs would be limited and you would have to build many more Gsubs to make the same range and distance as the same amount of 186 horns. It seems the more I learn, the more confusing it gets.  The X1/HD15 combo seems like a lot to
cover what the Gsub or 186 horns can do on it's own.  I guess here in the states everyone is use to front loaded double 18"'s or Horns like the Cerwin's.  But is the 186 horn wrong for small venues like 100 - 300 people clubs?  I've seen bands use 2 cerwins per side with 1 double 15" high, and then I've seen 2 double 18" lows per side with 1 double 15" high on top.

Sorry, I know it's a long post.

Thanks,
Hobbyist2004

Edited by Hobbyist2004 - 12 March 2006 at 12:18am
Hobbyist2004 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hobbyist2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2006 at 2:09am
Actually I just read the good ol FAQ's again, and one of the post cleared things up.
I hope the FAQ on horn loaded vs reflex is still current even after the X1/hd15 plans where
made.

Thanks
Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2006 at 11:39am
personaly id say just build more hd 152 like 2/3/4 a side with 1/2 x1s should be fine. you just havent got enough hd15s id gues!
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2006 at 12:57pm

Yep, 1 HD on it's own is going to be really un-special!

You want 3 or more per side to really get the benefit.  The difference between 4 and 6 together is astounding.

For the size of venues you're doing reflex 15's or 18's should do for bottom end (15's if you want it a bit faster/punchier)

Heard some (sort of) Opus double 15 boxes (8 of them - 16 drivers) last month and they were superb, nice and low, but punchy too - and frikkin loud!!  Never let it be said that reflex boxes can't do the job - although we did comment that 12 HD15's could have easily done the same job.

My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
Hobbyist2004 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hobbyist2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2006 at 1:20am

Well I did consider building more HD15's but now I think the Gsub will cut down on space for transporting, 4 Gsubs versus 4 X1's and 4 HD15's. But thanks for the input everyone.

Hobbyist2004

soundgodwannabe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soundgodwannabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2006 at 10:45pm

I built my G subs and love them. But put castors on the back. It makes transporting a lot easier. Also, put some corner handles in. It is just so much easier.

When I can get the money up for drivers, I will build some HD215's some MT122's. Man, I love this site!

Make the soundman mad and I WILL press the suck button for your band.
 Post Reply Post Reply