Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Punisher and X-tro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2 Punishers from three sheets of ply?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2 Punishers from three sheets of ply?
    Posted: 12 March 2006 at 4:16pm
Hey all

Planning out my punisher build, and layng it all out on 8 by 4 sheets to see how best to do it. Anyone managed to get two out of three sheets?

best i can get in terms of maximising space, but keeping cuts fairly simple is everything except one side panel onto three sheets.  (see link here)

I've grouped as many similar dimentions together as possible, fo example more than half of the panels (all for the horn really) are 470mm wide so they're all in rows, and one big long cut will get a full length and 470mm wide strip and then it can be chopped up into the smaller panels. I chose to leave the side panel as the odd one because its a very easy cut, just one big rectangle with no bevels or mitres.

My plan is to go to a CNC routing place and get a couple of big 8x4 sheets of something (some sort of plastic or something). Get them to rout strips from it making essentially a huge stencil, which i can lay on the sheet of ply and spray with a litle paint, laying out all of my cuts on the ply exactly where they need to be, millimetre perfect, and saving me having to measure out all of the fiddly smaller panels one by one.

Then cut it all with my shiny new Festool Circ saw and it'll be as accurate as humanly possible, meaning i can only really f**k it up in the putting together.

kev
whitehousejamie View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitehousejamie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2006 at 4:19pm

Not punisher related (sorry)..

How did that install go? Any pics?

kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2006 at 4:23pm
LOL,  i keep meaning to go by and get some (and just generally check up they're happy wih everything) but time keeps running away from me.

Will try my hardest to get by this week and see them, and get some pic's while i'm in.

kev
Deej View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2006 at 8:44am
It is possible if you do everything perfectly, but from personal experience that is very difficult. With three sheets there is almost no spare wood at all. I made my first pair from four sheets and im glad i bought the extra as i cocked a few bits up. the leftover bits will get used anyway as once you build two you will be making more!
Lyndon A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyndon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2006 at 6:45am

We'll be making 3 more punishers over easter holidays (to go with our single protptype).  I've changed the plans a litte to cut down the amount of angles needed to be cut, everything routed to slot together.  I'll let the redrawn plans out when I know they're OK.  It's in mm and the angles are a bit more sensible (no 79.4 degree cuts etc!!)

Should be able to plot that impedance curve as well.  I'm guessing it may change a little if two or more are coupled together.

Edited by Flipside - 30 March 2006 at 6:46am
 Post Reply Post Reply