Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Scoops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Delays on a pair of scoops

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Audio Hallucinations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Delays on a pair of scoops
    Posted: 24 September 2010 at 5:18pm
how much is the delay on a pair of 18" an on a pair of 15" scoops?
tweeter box View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tweeter box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2010 at 5:21pm
dude u must be hallucinating!
Audio Hallucinations View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Audio Hallucinations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2010 at 5:32pm
lol, why am i hallucinating now?
Speaker Sol View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speaker Sol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2010 at 6:07pm
Yes.

Interesting, As a scoop is front loaded, it is common to run with no delay and except that the sound from the horn will be somewhat behind the sound from the front of the driver.

Or you could run the driver 180 degrees out of phase and time the system up to the horn and except that the sound coming from the cone is going to be well depending on frequency and the length of the horn out of time with the horn.

Knowing this, I think that running a rig with more than one type of scoop is probably a bad idea and should be avoided altogether. As even if you time the two horns together the direct sound from the cone will be out, or you can time the direct sound and the horn sound will be out.

But then my knowledge of scoops is limited... 
king david View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king david Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2010 at 6:23pm
what about the sound from 2 stacks of same boxes but different drivers?
i also see many scoops linkups pictures, never heard one, but like to know some feedback
http://www.warriorcharge.noblogs.org
Audio Hallucinations View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Audio Hallucinations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2010 at 6:27pm
,y understanding of it (correct me if im wrong) is that the higher bass frequencies come out of the front loaded an the amplified lower sub freq come out of the horn......i think......so if you cross it over so that kickss are doin the higher bass then u dont have the delayed bassline effect....? so im after the delay time for the horn itself 
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2010 at 8:08pm
I would say that the correct way to explain what come from where is that all the bass frequencies come from the front radiating speaker. You must remember that what comes from the front of the speaker is exactly the same as what radiates from the rear. It's the rear radiation that takes advantage of the horn and gets  amplified. The result is that the lower end gets a boost while upper bass frequencies take a dive through virtue of the horn. Only part of the rear radiation is out of phase with the front. Depending on length of horn, this will cause a dip just after 100hz. Having a dip at this frequency is no bad thing, as all bass speakers are pretty efficient at this frequency. When 100hz is prominent, it will mask your lower bass.
Regarding time alignment, you can't assume it's a sub that has to be delayed. It depends on the positioning. When I'm testing, until it's done I don't know whether the sub, bass or mid will be the zero cab. 
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speaker Sol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2010 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by Audio Hallucinations Audio Hallucinations wrote:

,y understanding of it (correct me if im wrong) is that the higher bass frequencies come out of the front loaded an the amplified lower sub freq come out of the horn......i think......so if you cross it over so that kickss are doin the higher bass then u dont have the delayed bassline effect....? so im after the delay time for the horn itself 

I don't really see how this would be true unless there is something very special going on in the horn.

The horn will be more efficient so the sound coming from this part of the speaker will sound louder, it would be possible to tune the horn so that it is operating in a narrow bandwidth, say 40hz to 90hz and then the cone takes the rest. But I am not sure if this is the case in most scoop designs.

The sound emitted from the cone would include all frequency at some level, but would probably be most efficient from 70hz and above. 

While what you are saying is could be true I don't know if it is the case.

Also this would not help if you had two types of scoop cab in the same stack.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speaker Sol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2010 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by TONY.A.S.S. TONY.A.S.S. wrote:

I would say that the correct way to explain what come from where is that all the bass frequencies come from the front radiating speaker. You must remember that what comes from the front of the speaker is exactly the same as what radiates from the rear. It's the rear radiation that takes advantage of the horn and gets  amplified. The result is that the lower end gets a boost while upper bass frequencies take a dive through virtue of the horn. Only part of the rear radiation is out of phase with the front. Depending on length of horn, this will cause a dip just after 100hz. Having a dip at this frequency is no bad thing, as all bass speakers are pretty efficient at this frequency. When 100hz is prominent, it will mask your lower bass.
Regarding time alignment, you can't assume it's a sub that has to be delayed. It depends on the positioning. When I'm testing, until it's done I don't know whether the sub, bass or mid will be the zero cab. 

Yes this man knows what he's talking about, I will bow out of the conversation.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2010 at 8:26pm
SS, I'm sure someone else will have a way to explain it, What I write are only my observations.
JR.junior View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JR.junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2010 at 2:00am
2m long horn is cca. 5ms behind, compare to direct radiation.

Edited by JR.junior - 25 September 2010 at 2:03am
Support the scoop technology, larger mouth plays louder!
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2010 at 9:06am
JR you have mentioned an interesting point, regarding length of horn versus delay. When we consider delay we must assume if there is any, we must be talking about 2 different starting points, (as in delay towers).
With a rear loaded horn cab the starting points are the same, albeit 180 degrees out of phase. I've never been able to make up my mind how much delay the horn adds. I think the horn may only add delay for the parts that are not coming forward. I say this because if you unfold the horn to make it straight, and say for instance it was 20 metres long, if you then put another direct radiating speaker directly over the speaker in the horn and put the same signal in both, they would be perfectly in time.
In all of this I only try to take notice of what is relevant, so in spite of any delay from front to back, perhaps we can consider that it may not matter so much as the wavelength of bottom E on a bass guitar is around 42 hz which equates to about 26 ms. 
I have an Iasys machine for measuring all of this, and it is noticeable that the lower the frequency, the longer it takes to measure, I have always assumed that it must be taking a mean average, because, I have always wondered when it comes to time, considering a wavelength of 28" long, which bit is in time, front, middle, back? Answers on a postcard please.
 Post Reply Post Reply