Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Show Off Your Sound System
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pad Thai Hifi Build Pictures

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jossdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2010 at 6:18pm
Thanks everyone, we have enjoyed building them alot. Still cant wait to hear them. Managed to get 3 of the tops finished, so we are getting closer and closer.

Originally posted by killawatts killawatts wrote:

Wicked build guys....looking great!  Where did you get the CNCing done for the hogs? We are after another 2 and I would quite like to get them cnc'd to fit in with the other 4...

cheers
Richard

Got the wood cut here, http://www.theworkhaus.co.uk/ , but luckily my Mum works there so we paid bugger all. Still ended up using 18 sheets in total so even in material ended up being a decent amount. Might be worth asking them, especially as you are in Leeds and so are they.

Something that we would do different if we were going to get stuff CNC rebated again would be to have one side with a 18mm slot then have the other side with maybe a 19mm slot to allow for easier location. I dont know if it was our inexperienced woodworking skills or what but we had a bit of trouble on some of them getting the second half to line up. Anyone done this before?

First time have worked with Birch ply and it is nice. It seems considerably lighter than MDF which can only be a bonus.

JDCutta was right, they are Pflys hybrid horns, posted the build of them a while ago on here. Depending on if they can keep up or not will be the deciding factor if we keep them or not. What ever happens we will have them for a while tho until we have saved abit more money.

AJordan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJordan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2010 at 6:34pm
Nice work.  When getting pannels CNCd, do you need to cut them to the exact size first or can/is that done as part of the CNC process?
pfly View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2010 at 6:36pm
Well, 4x PD12SB30 vs. 6x V18-1000, all horn loaded in the frequency range they are being used in this configuration...
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2010 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by jossdude jossdude wrote:

Thanks everyone, we have enjoyed building them alot. Still cant wait to hear them. Managed to get 3 of the tops finished, so we are getting closer and closer.

Originally posted by killawatts killawatts wrote:

Wicked build guys....looking great!  Where did you get the CNCing done for the hogs? We are after another 2 and I would quite like to get them cnc'd to fit in with the other 4...

cheers
Richard

Got the wood cut here, http://www.theworkhaus.co.uk/ , but luckily my Mum works there so we paid bugger all. Still ended up using 18 sheets in total so even in material ended up being a decent amount. Might be worth asking them, especially as you are in Leeds and so are they.

Something that we would do different if we were going to get stuff CNC rebated again would be to have one side with a 18mm slot then have the other side with maybe a 19mm slot to allow for easier location. I dont know if it was our inexperienced woodworking skills or what but we had a bit of trouble on some of them getting the second half to line up. Anyone done this before?

First time have worked with Birch ply and it is nice. It seems considerably lighter than MDF which can only be a bonus.

JDCutta was right, they are Pflys hybrid horns, posted the build of them a while ago on here. Depending on if they can keep up or not will be the deciding factor if we keep them or not. What ever happens we will have them for a while tho until we have saved abit more money.

This is my bit.

Regarding slots in the sides, First of all you should go for 19mm grooves as birch ply can be under or over 18mm. The only way to ensure accuracy is to use 12mm slots and rebate your panels to suit. This will give you an accurate shoulder size, and a larger gluing area. The only problem with slots the size of the panel, is that if the slot goes slightly deep, it will pull the sides of the cab in when secured. It is not unusual to have a problem locating the other side, it happens all the time on a multi panel cab. Sometimes it goes in with any trouble and other times you have to threaten it with a big hammer. 

Edited by TONY.A.S.S. - 16 November 2010 at 8:14pm
jossdude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jossdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2010 at 9:03pm
That makes sense, we cut our rebates to exactly 18mm but sounds like we were lucky and as they fitted in perfectly. We just needed to slightly chisel out 2 sections but the rest of the pieces located perfectly together. We did have one of us stood on the side though when we were screwing and glueing.

For CNC cutting you can get all of it done at once. We even got our speakon connector areas and the holes for the wheels CNC cut at the same time. Just need someone to know what they are doing with CAD really, or be willing to learn.
biotec View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biotec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2010 at 9:23am
I use a an 18.5mm router cutter when doing rebates. I find with the width of the glue film it a royal PITA to get 18mm panels into an 18mm slot. I'm sure tony's 19mm is also fine.
me so horny, me love you long throw.
login4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote login4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2010 at 6:51pm
looks really nice,

so did the hybrid horns not drop that deep then in the end? is that why you built the scoops?

the reason i ask is im quite interested in the hybrids

CELTIC SUBSONIC SOUND SYSTEMS
pfly View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2010 at 7:08pm
They definitely do drop to around 45hz, but they are still 400W rms 12" jobbies. No one should expect HOG class performance down there from them Embarrassed
jossdude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jossdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2010 at 8:30pm
Exactly what Pfly said, I am really really happy with them. But we just wanted to go bigger and 4 x 12" drivers compared to 6 x 18" is quite a difference. They still work brilliantly on there own and the system will probably end up getting used most often without the hogs for now anyway.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12