Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best Long Lasting DVD-R's?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Long Lasting DVD-R's?
    Posted: 21 January 2011 at 2:30pm
What's some of the best long lasting DVD-R's out there as I been using Datawrite Titanium 8x / 16x for ages, then a few of them started to fail.

Reading around on the net I saw one review where it was said that after a few months, these discs can become unreadable.

On checking a few, seems like the post in the review was true!

Should really say, the unreadable discs I've tried are un-complete so are in an un-finalised state! Didn't expect that to make a difference.

They're not the cheapest around, & not the most expensive! Just kinda average.

So now looking for a better make!

Any advice gents ?

Cheers.

Edited by Tekasis - 21 January 2011 at 2:40pm
**Heavy Weight-Line**
A home without books is like a body with no soul.
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2011 at 3:22pm
Hiya matey .... we met at the last Rice & Peas in December I think - yeah ? We were yacking outside I think - Gladdy was there - yes ? (Sorry if thats not you :-) )

Anyway - can't really help you with brands of DVD-R particularly ... I've used a few, and had moderate amounts of hassle with all of them - cheapy and top-dollar ones - but I'll say this ...

DON'T rely on DVD media AT ALL for really important valuable data - for long-term.
CD-R is much better - I still use it for backups of email, important "office" type files etc.
I have CD-R's here burnt 10 years ago - still perfectly readable .... NOT SO with DVDs burnt much more recently. I really don't why that is ..... but errr ...well that my 2p worth.

The Builder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2011 at 3:51pm
http://www.dvdshoponline.co.uk/Taiyo-Yuden.html
Taiyo Yuden

Make sure they're not fakes
It just is.
stevie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2011 at 4:43pm
That's the brand to go for if you can find them. Not sure how to spot the fakes though.
Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2011 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by slaz slaz wrote:

Hiya matey .... we met at the last Rice & Peas in December I think - yeah ? We were yacking outside I think - Gladdy was there - yes ? (Sorry if thats not you :-) )

Anyway - can't really help you with brands of DVD-R particularly ... I've used a few, and had moderate amounts of hassle with all of them - cheapy and top-dollar ones - but I'll say this ...

DON'T rely on DVD media AT ALL for really important valuable data - for long-term.
CD-R is much better - I still use it for backups of email, important "office" type files etc.
I have CD-R's here burnt 10 years ago - still perfectly readable .... NOT SO with DVDs burnt much more recently. I really don't why that is ..... but errr ...well that my 2p worth.

Cheers Slaz! It was me yes !

I'll remember your advice too! I agree too as I got no probs with very old CD-R's.

Originally posted by The Builder The Builder wrote:

http://www.dvdshoponline.co.uk/Taiyo-Yuden.html

Taiyo Yuden

Make sure they're not fakes
Originally posted by stevie stevie wrote:

That's the brand to go for if you can find them. Not sure how to spot the fakes though.

Cheers gents.

I've seen that make before but the name had put me off, now I see the price, there must be something about them!

What about verbatims? anyone use those?
**Heavy Weight-Line**
A home without books is like a body with no soul.
 Post Reply Post Reply