Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Long Horn for 15" driver

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Box-designer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Long Horn for 15" driver
    Posted: 02 September 2004 at 12:08pm

Hi everyone

I need plan of horn (long horn, not like HD15) for 15" driver.

Thanks

Timber_MG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber_MG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2004 at 4:28pm
I am current helping dubsuction with his for a PD156. Post some T/S and I'll tell you whether the plan is suitable.
Box-designer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Box-designer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2004 at 6:01pm

Hi

Here are parameters t/s:

http://www.eminence.com/eminence/pages/products02/speakers/d el15lf.htm

But I'm not sure if this driver is suitable for horn :(

Could You give some tips, advices about designing horns. Also software if you know and mathematical formulas.

Many Thanks

whitehousejamie View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitehousejamie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2004 at 6:14pm

Hi,

The Eminence Delta LF will perform very poorly in a Long Horn, its has an EBP of 65, a BL of only 14.5 and a very high Qts of 0.58. Rog calls this a 'mush motor', as the driver has very little control over its cone. For long horns, you need a driver with a strong motor system, (High BL and low Qts) to move lots of air. The Delta 15LF driver will only work in a Reflex type cabinet.

Hope this helps

Jamie

Lighting, sound & staging hire
www.eventstore.co.uk
www.pauljamespromotions.com
Timber_MG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber_MG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2004 at 8:20pm
Uhm, one could make something work in a way, but this driver doesn't have anywhere near what one would call "ideal" parameters for a horn. (Weak motor... BL/sqrt(Re)...above 10 is starting to become very nice.

For such apps look at ye good ol' bass-reflex boxes and similar designs.
Timber_MG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber_MG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2004 at 8:25pm
Oh, and for medelling look ar David McBean's hornresp. For some theory have a lok at Rogs Link page elsewhere on this site. Melhuish.org has some good basics, but many others abound. ML-Util is also useful to get a starting alignment and then one shortens the horn and so on (link on Melhuish)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Box-designer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2004 at 12:37pm

Hi

That's what I thought that this driver will be weak "air pumper", but people on other forum ,which I'm visiting, think that any driver is suitable for horn :)

So maybe you could give me a plan (if you have) for long horn with Kappa 15LF driver or other with stronger "motor" like Fane Crescendo15B :)

Many thanks

Timber_MG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber_MG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2004 at 1:12pm
How 'bout a link to this forum?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Box-designer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2004 at 1:53pm

Hi

This is Polish forum because I'm from Poland :)

But if you want to see it I'm giving you link

http://www.elektroda.pl/rtvforum/forum25.html

And here is example that shows that they using any driver for horn, (but you must be registered to see diagrams):

http://www.elektroda.pl/rtvforum/topic158629-0-asc-90.html

Post Reply Post Reply