Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > HD 15 horn
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

hd15s + cubo 15s?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hd15s + cubo 15s?
    Posted: 22 June 2011 at 1:35pm
Wanted to know what people would choose for electro/fidget and sometimes dubstep - 4 cubo 15s stacked or possibly 2 cubo's with 2 hd15s ontop to go with a pair of mid horns + mid-tops. Stuck as to which to choose as i have drivers to make 2 more cubo's (i already have 2) but hd's would add alot more kick! or would the difference not be that significant?
 Thanks in advance!
smoore View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2011 at 9:28pm
anybody's opinion? Never heard a similiar combination so not sure whats best
TechnoChef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TechnoChef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2011 at 6:11pm
HDs (or any kick bin) would definitely add more kick, which would be great for the house but you might get away without for dubstep.
Do you know how low your mid horns play? If they would go down to the the 110 - 120hz you might want to stick with more cubos for the extra sub bass. If not, kick bins would make for a fuller sound and better overall response.

That said, I'm a techno freak so I like a real punchy kick bin. Guess it all depends on your preference and taste...
I think I'm in love with your mum.
Joe Grime View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Grime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2011 at 6:57pm
Not sure 1 hd 15 per side would add much kick, as these are best in multiples. Plus you will need additional amps / crossovers with appropriate delays. May be better with 4 cubo's and build a mid top to get down to 120. x12 or 15 maybe.
smoore View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2011 at 6:09pm
Yep planning to do that pretty much... Got two new 400w 12" mids to go underneath 200w 15"midtops and planning to build more cubo's as they still have a decent kick..
    Would running the system 3 way add more of a punch to the mids? I think i read that the cab supposedly runs crossed at 180 but i ran them today blaring crossed at 120 and they sounded fine! (eminence delta's) Otherwise i was going to run it 2 way to save buying another amp
TechnoChef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TechnoChef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2011 at 10:05pm

Going 3 way would normally add extra oomph to a system over 2 way, depending on the speakers involved.  Something like HDs would cover the range between the subs and tops, so the tops and subs could be crossed over lower and higher respectively.  With less bandwidth going into the amps/speakers you can utilise the power you have and turn things up some more!

If your tops or new mids can cross low enough to meet the 4 cubos and play loud enough to keep up with them that sounds like your best bet, especially given the music choice...
I think I'm in love with your mum.
smoore View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2011 at 10:39pm
Mids are 400w 12" eminence delta's so... I could cross them quite low in a 3 way?
bartje2012 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartje2012 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2011 at 2:00pm
Have been running exactly that setup last 2 years:

8x cubo's with 4x hd15's with  mid/high.

in my case the mid/high was 4512's with 2" above wich has been replaced now with 2x MT121

The 4512's where to much of narrow mid cannons and you would miss the mid in front of the speakers, so i suggest you take a wide mouth mid horn or even plain reflex mid to make sure you get the front filled with mid too.

For the rest it was bomb, hd15's really boost the cubo experience, my cross settings where after some experience: cubo's 40 to 95 and the Hd15's 90 to 160hz then the mid would take it over. no gaps ;)

greetings, bart.
smoore View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2011 at 10:35am
Yo, 
Yea well the mids are wide dispersion horns/flares and i've had them playing pretty low and sounding good, however i wish i could be as picky! Im only running 2/3 way  at the moment so cubos gonna run 40hz - 115hz... Was now looking at building some 15" folded horns to go with 3 cubo's underneath. And i could run horns off other channel like 50-mayb 160hz??.. Not sure what they will run up to yet but was hoping they would provide more of a kick above the cubo's similiar to your HD15s.. 

Should be sorted now for mids with 2x12" flares and 2x 15"+1" midtops, Thanks for all the comments :) Think im gonna do the same as you bartje with the horns doing upper bass to cover the gap
 Post Reply Post Reply