Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > HD 15 horn
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wanting to expand

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soundgodwannabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wanting to expand
    Posted: 13 June 2006 at 7:43pm

This is my current setup...

(2) Yamaha S115IV's (1 X 15)

(2) G subs

What I am wanting to do is build a system that will take some of the pressure off of the Yamaha's (bass and kick drum). We play country music and southern rock. I really like to hear the kick drum and bass, but don't want them to be in the Yamaha's. I use a crossover and cross at 150 hz. This gives very little to the G sub.

Can I build 4 HD15's and place them in-between the G sub and the Yamaha's? IF SO, what will be needed to AMP, X-OVER, etc...to manage this. Any help will be greatly accepted! Or would it be better to build 8 HD 15's and use them 4 to a side with the Yamaha's as Mid/High cabinets? Also, when running this many speakers do you run them into a 2 ohm load or are they being wired in series to be ran at 4 ohms? I am just really wanting to get some serious kick and bass felt from the drummer and bass player.

Thanks for your help!

Make the soundman mad and I WILL press the suck button for your band.
Gramps View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gramps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2006 at 8:09pm

If you want to run a three way system like the one you suggest, you'll have to get a new x-over, and you'd maybe be best off with a digital signal processor (which come with many features such as delay/limiters/parametric EQs etc) for best results if you're using front loaded cabs like your current ones with horn loaded cabs like the HD, and want to get it sounding really tight.

Four a side would definately give you alot of kick compared to the g-sub, and alot louder. Never heard them with acoustic music, only belting out 4/4 music at parties, so not sure how "musical" sounding they are!

Before you do anything though I'd try moving the x-over point that you're using up abit. You don't mention what drivers are in the G-subs, but most 18s will go way up above 200hz in a front loaded cab without sounding too slow or muddy. Worth a go anyway if there doesn't seem to be much activity from their direction.

Hope this is of some help!

Lawrence 

Post Reply Post Reply