Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > HD 15 horn
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Accoustic Foam on HD15’s etc.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Accoustic Foam on HD15’s etc.
    Posted: 05 September 2004 at 2:37pm

I've read that Rog does not like accoustic foam covering ports.  Presumably this needs to be taken into account in the calculation of the port area, which must be increased according to how transparent the foam is.

I've just covered my HD15's with a 5mm foam front.  This has made the speakers look much more acceptable.  Didn't seem to have any obvious side effects.  Is accoustic foam OK for large area horns like the HD15?  What about the 10" drivers for the MT102?  What about a high frequency horn unit?

loophole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loophole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2004 at 11:52pm
by port area i presume you mean the size of the opening (in which case the port length would have to be decreased to compensate for the change in resonant frequency) so why would you want to do that anyway?
surely just leaving a space with no foam, only grille where the ports are, would be less obtrusive than adding a much bigger hole in the front?
and since when did hd15's look unacceptable?!
i wouldn't cover compression drivers with foam, it makes them sound lifeless. mid's shouldn't be a problem however
 Post Reply Post Reply