Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Painting my cabs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Groovemeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Painting my cabs
    Posted: 18 July 2011 at 12:56pm
Hi I have some Thunder ridge speakers which I have purchased of the bay. MX650's and V1000

Got them working nicely.

However I am finding the acrylic paint is realy easy to damage. Was wondering if any one else was using these cabs had repainted them ?

Failing that what do you think the best solution is ? Rubbing the paint down and paint with Tuff Cab or another solution ?

I don't really want to start putting corner protaction on them as it will ruin the appearance.

Edited by Groovemeister - 18 July 2011 at 12:56pm
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2011 at 1:02pm
From memory the Thunder Ridge boys used to use TriMite. Its not cheap but its the best 1 pack speaker paint out there. And they were originally black.

J
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
Groovemeister View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Groovemeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2011 at 1:14pm
Ok back to black it is just got to figure out how much prep work I need to do.

ANyone tried painting trimite on to acrylic paint?

Have I got to sand it back completely ?
Pirlo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pirlo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2011 at 2:17pm
I would go for "Warnex", either turbo-blue or black.
Ya have to sand off the old paint first, wich is a bit of work (the warnex will not grip on the acryl) but the end-result is worth.
Use two layers, first roll with a lambskinroller, second spraid with an undersealgun (or even with a professional spray-gun if aviable, but the underseal work fine if ya on a budget)

A good friend of mine prefer clear epoxy resin (colored with pigment / color-paste in the color ya want ) and some additives such as Aerosil and Laromin.
If ya want to try it, ya should know what ya do and able to observe the industrial safety, but the result will cover against tanks!
Who the fu&k is Mr. Phanton, and why he has so much power!?
soundforyou View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soundforyou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2011 at 11:42pm
trimite is the best ... unfortunatly i hear it will be around for only a limited time ... as in gone soon
Life is Now
Pahlavan-i View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pahlavan-i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2011 at 5:59pm
how comes? Shocked
ermita View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ermita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2011 at 9:32pm
mrhbiggs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhbiggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2017 at 11:34pm
Hi, i know I'm very late onto this thread but hopefully someone can still help me, what drivers were originally in the vsub1000?
i think it was PHL but not sure on the model number, any help would be great!
 Post Reply Post Reply