Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

THAM 15 - Touring Version! (and matching top)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote L-Plates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2016 at 12:07pm
Resurrection of an old thread here but, what are the external dimensions of the touring version compared to the original one? 
CHeers
kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2016 at 6:02pm
hey

Well, I would point out that they aren't any sort of 'official' touring version or anything, that was just the nickname I gave them cos the handles on the side make them much easier to move about. 

But yeah they came out as 788m wide, by 590mm deep by 500mm tall. 

The only changes from the original were that the front was extended 4cm to be able to attach a full face grill, so they're 4cm deeper, and they're about 11cm wider than the original all in to make the handles. 

k
Full Flight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full Flight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2017 at 8:22am
Hi Kevin,

Nice mods to make it "Road Ready". Question. What do you reckon the outcome would be if I adjusted the dimensions slightly to fit in with the rest of my build? Keep them 500mm high, but narrow them down slightly to 650mm (from the original 680mm), but add a bit of depth (to 650mm) to compensate. I would chop the width out of the empty panel in the front, so as to leave the mouth the same dimensions. I did a sim in hornresp, but real life and sims sometimes have different mathematical equations. :-)

Regards

Ben
GarethF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GarethF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2018 at 4:35pm
Hi, any news with these?
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2018 at 7:20pm
2 years since the op posted last, could be an epic thread resurrection even lazarus would be impressed by... 

Yeah, cmon kevin, tell us if theyve been in action again? Pics?
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2018 at 11:33am
haha LOL

yeah they've been out in the wild and in use lol, though I don't know if I have any pics handy. 

Last time they were out and about was the subs on their own being used on a small stage at a festival up in the north of Scotland, where two a side of my THAM15 subs comfortably outplayed 2 a side of d&b Q subs that were also being used, and very much impressed the stage manager and other techs working there. 

I can't remember if I mentioned it on the thread, but the top ended up being quite different from the ones initially planned at the start of the thread. They're basically just big SMT tops on steroids, with the horn/waveguide part that makes the double 12" section being a bit deeper than the normal SMT, and using the 2" BMS coax comp as the HF.

The top stacked on top of 2 subs make a good height for the HF in smaller, indoor bars and venues, and on top of 3 subs gets it to a good height for outdoor stuff to get it up above people's heads and get a bit more throw and clarity. 

If I've time later tonight when I'm home I'll dig out some pics from when they were being painted etc, and I'm probably using the system for a small gig middle of Sept so will try and get some in action pics then.

K

Edited by kevinmcdonough - 20 August 2018 at 11:34am
martinsson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martinsson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2018 at 9:24pm
Quote two a side of my THAM15 subs comfortably outplayed 2 a side of d&b Q subs that were also being used, and very much impressed the stage manager and other techs working there

Thanks for sharing you impressions Kevin, it's always nice to hear from a happy DIY'er, and you have made it your own by adding to the design in a very nice way, in it's most basic form this is a soon to be ten year old design, and to hear that they still have a place out there and still brings good feelings and praise to the users means a lot, especially when compared to current competition like that, thank you :)
Swedish Pro-fi diy-nerd - http://www.martinsson.cc/blog/
GarethF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GarethF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2018 at 12:10am
do you have the plans?
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2018 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by GarethF GarethF wrote:

do you have the plans?

well yeah, I do LOLWink

No, unfortunately for the subs especially there were never any massively detailed plans put together, it was just something I came up with and sketched out on various random drawings and things. And though I do have a solidworks model now, its mostly just an external lookalike, the internals arent correct. It was never built properly and checked in Solidworks as i always do now to make sure all the parts fitted and were correct etc, so I think even on the bits and pieces of plans I did have there were a few errors in calculations and trig/angles and stuff.

But it's not especially hard to put together, it's just the basic THAM15 plan for 90% of the design, and I just added the handle parts onto the side. 

In terms of the top, as I said it's basically just a big extended version of the SMT design. This was the Solidworks model when designing it.....

As you can see has the same handle design etc on the top and bottom. A wheel board clips into the front and it falls down on it's face, and so the handles become horizontal and good for lifting it. The two side handles are there to make it a bit easier to grab and move it as you stack it and put it into place etc. 

Stacked with two THAM15, which gives a decent height for the HF for indoor pub/club type gigs it looks like this.....

In terms of components it's loaded with two 12" BMS drivers for mid. They're 1000w each, but both the drivers themselves and the tuning of the cab aren't designed to go especially low. They maybe hit about 70Hz I think at a push, but crossover around 100 and are always used with subs, so you can get their full power and output without worrying about excursion problems, they never play low enough for it to be an issue. HF is a 2" BMS coax comp on a big-ish Beyma 90 degree horn. While an even bigger horn would have been better, it'd have made the design of the cab a little ungainly, the horn with the driver on it is already pretty much the full depth of even the extended, deeper version SMT that this is. 

As I was prepping for a gig a few weeks ago I took some very quick pics, here is one of the subs and the inside of one of the tops....

I'm actually planning on doing some measuring work on it over this weekend, tweeking the crossover settings and playing with all passfilters etc, so will get some pics of that to add from doing that too. 

k

Edited by kevinmcdonough - 25 August 2018 at 1:52pm
GarethF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GarethF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2018 at 11:00pm
Does the whole system work well on live work? bands etc?
ultimatesoundz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultimatesoundz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2022 at 8:17pm
I know its been 4 years since the last post but im looking to downscale in size. This tread was quite interesting. I normally do gigs for around 200-300 peeps with all kinds of music, function dependant. Sometimes at pubs with Dj's or sometimes with a band. My question is that would 4 of these cabs be capable to cater for that crowd. Not looking at serious spl but just decent sound that covers the venue. My tops are dual 12inch and comp (faital pro). Does the tham15 need any particular dsp settings or parametrics?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910