Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > X10, X12, X15 and XM15
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

X12 Comp Driver

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishsound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X12 Comp Driver
    Posted: 23 June 2006 at 6:33pm
Are there any cheaper alternatives to the recommended comp driver for the X12. The SD740 comes in at £158 which to me seems a bit pricey. Is it really that much better than other drivers costing £50-£60? Is it worth the extra £100?

I already have a couple of BM-D450 so would these do instead?

What about the horn. Would an alternative rectangular horn be ok. I have a couple of PH3616 horns so could I use them?

Thanks
Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2006 at 12:28pm
ive used the bmd 450 for a while [looking to get some 750s and some bulets though soon!]
theyl do the job ok, but you need a horn that will give an apropriate disperrsion to the rest of the box, especialy if you use multiples of them perside
me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2006 at 8:24am
A 1" driver such as the BM-D450 will not give the required performance in an X12.  It will be limited to a 2kHz or higher crossover and therefore will not integrate cleanly with the 12" drivers.

A 1.4" or 2" driver allows for crossovers down to 1k2 or lower lessening the problems at crossover.  Will be louder too.

Compression drivers may all look the same but like cone drivers, they all sound different.  Take two with similar specs, one may be sweet and smooth, the other may try to remove skin at 100yds!  Generally, they more you pay the better they sound, especially at high levels and the more punishment they'll take.

BM-D450's on the PH3616 will work fine in compact single 12"+1" boxes as I believe you have already? Crossover at about 2kHz.
fishsound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishsound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2006 at 8:29am
Thanks for the replies guys.

Will adding a second 12" driver narrow the dispersion angle for them? If so, would a narrower angle horn be required for the comp driver so it matches the narrower dispersion angle of the 12" drivers, in which case how do you work out what that angle should be?

Why is it ok to use a 1" comp driver for a single 12" driver but larger ones are required for two (or more) drivers? If a 12" driver on its own can cross over at 2kHz why can't two of them in the same cab cross over at 2kHz?

Thanks for your help.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2006 at 7:13am
Firstly one of the reasons for needing a lower crossover frequency in the X12 is due to the distance between the acoustic centres of the drivers, particularly the lower 12" and the HF horn.  In order for the sources to integrate at crossover, the distance between them needs to be minimised in terms of wavelengths at the crossover frequency.  Going by these rules, even 1k2 is too high but definitely better than 2kHz.

If you have a very loud 1" CD then you might be able to get away with using one with a pair of 12" drivers but you will need to mount the horn between the two 12" drivers and the midrange will never be as clear as it would be using a larger format compression driver. You might also end up running it too hard to keep up SPL-wise (danger of blowing HF driver).

Soulshine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soulshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2006 at 7:09am
From the two above options (P.audios sd-740 & sd-750) which would you choose and why?

With which horn would you match your selection?
Thank God
kevin tyler View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2007 at 1:22am
if i was to build x12s in the future i would only need one pair, is the 45 by 45 degree horn  flare in robs's design inplace on the basis that you pro hire guys would have multiple units, and that directivity would not be an issue to you.

would a single box not be very directional with such a small flare?

sorry if this is a daft question.

kevin
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2007 at 8:56am
I'm using 60x40deg flares in my X12's which I think are the best compromise between coverage with a single box and arrayability.

It depends on the area you're trying to cover.  In a long, thin room for example the 45x45deg Selenium horn would be fine but in a wide venue you'll start to loose the HF if you're more than 30deg or so off-axis.

kevin tyler View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2007 at 9:49am
thanks for that.

kev
 Post Reply Post Reply