Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > 1850 and 186 horns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1850 and martin modular setup

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pigfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1850 and martin modular setup
    Posted: 27 June 2006 at 7:36pm
hi there,

i am trying to help a mate sort out his sounds. he has built 2 1850s and loaded them with pd1850s. he has also bought some martin gear to go with it. he got a pair of sb115 (the ones with the wierd flare) a pair of martin mh212 mids (philishaves) and some martin hf2m tops. I got the pdf data sheet from the martin website and they reccomend crossing over at 250 hz and 1.5khz. hes got an infinite 8 to run the 1850s and enough other amps to run the martin gear.

i want to cross the martin system as it recommends and i want to run the 1850s up to 150hz.

what i want to know is

are there any delay / phasing issues to consider.(assume the front of all cabs are in line)?

also does it matter which way the 1850s are placed, (on their side, horn at bottom or horn at top)?

any help or advice would be appreciated

cheers

simon
Fushion Julz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fushion Julz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2006 at 8:37pm
Quote are there any delay / phasing issues to consider.(assume the front of all cabs are in line)?

Yes...unless all the horn paths are the same length (they aren't) or unless all the speakers are front loaded (they aren't) you need to delay the ones with the shorter path (mids and tops) to match the ones with the longest path (PD1850s)

also does it matter which way the 1850s are placed, (on their side, horn at bottom or horn at top)?

It would be best to put the horns mouth-to-mouth...so lying on their side, as it were, to get the best possible coupling between the horn mouths...howver if that isn't possible or practicable, then it would be marginally better to have the horn mouth nearest the floor...

I would suggest crossing the PD1850s over at 120Hz or less...then 120-250Hz for the sb115s, etc...

An Infinite 8, btw, will run 2 PD1850s off ONE channel...that should mean you can use the other channel to run the sb115s (or build another 2 PD1850 horns, of course).

Edited by Fushion Julz - 27 June 2006 at 8:38pm
FUSHION SOUNDSYSTEM

www.fushion.org.uk
pigfarmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pigfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2006 at 5:53pm
cheers for the reply.

the infinite 8 is only working on one channel at the moment (i Know, you dont have to say it) My mate is raising the cash to get it fixed asap.

he tells me that the martin bins are loaded with 350 or 300 watt unmatched drivers, so i might give him a pair of jbl 15" 600 watt drivers that ive got lying around. so they would work nicely on the other side of the infinite 8.

ive also got to recone one of the 1850 drivers because that went when the infinite 8 lost one of its channels.

also, what is the best way to determine the horn length in these various cabs? is it as simple as just measuring the inside curve and the outside curve, and splitting the difference?

cheers

simon
Fushion Julz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fushion Julz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2006 at 7:22am
PD 1850 horns have a path length of (IIRC) 2m
FUSHION SOUNDSYSTEM

www.fushion.org.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply