Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wireless disconnecting problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chickenfizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wireless disconnecting problem
    Posted: 21 August 2011 at 11:15pm
OK, I have a laptop with an Atheros based WLAN card, just put a new hard disk in it and consequently had to re-install windows.

I now get disconnected almost instantly for no apparent reason, I can't figure it out, I've tried different versions of the driver, it's not the router because several other devices in the house connect fine and stay connected. It's also not the laptop or the WLAN card because it all works perfectly with ubuntu installed on the exact same laptop, just not in XP. I did have it connected once for 5 mins or so, but it usually disconnects within 3 seconds. I had this problem before with a different laptop and router (also atheros based card) I eventually 'fixed' it just by deleting the network profile and setting it up again, no such luck here though.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, it's driving me mad!
The Builder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2011 at 11:19pm
Atheros dont like wpa2 inXP.

Best driver is

Also change the channel in the router
It just is.
chickenfizz View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chickenfizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2011 at 11:36pm
Hi, thanks very much for the suggestions. It's just plain old WPA (not 2), I am currently already using that very driver, just tried changing channel but that didn't help either :/
The Builder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2011 at 8:58am
Any mobile walkabout phones near the router?

Try WEP for the hell of it.

As you say has to be a driver issue if it works on Linux.

I am typing on a re-furb Acer with that very Ahteros. My file download speeds on wpa were 120ish, updated to above driver and now 550+. They are a very moody adapter. I would change it for an Intel one, easy enough, have to be gentle with the silly ariel connectors thats all.

Maybe borrow a router to try as well, nothing is set in stone with wireless.

Some other things I have had work:

Set it to G only. Set it to B&G only, no N. Lately N has caused me more hassle than any other wireless issue, especially with wireless printers.

Edited by The Builder - 22 August 2011 at 10:22am
It just is.
 Post Reply Post Reply