Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Punisher and X-tro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Our go at the X-Tro

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MacgregorSound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Our go at the X-Tro
    Posted: 24 August 2011 at 12:48am
Hello there!

I joined this lovely forum to show you my version of the X-Tro, not the true original but a pretty nice box anyway!

For starters its loaded with

B&C DE500 1" on a B&C 90x60 Horn
RCF MR8N301 on the original wooden horn
RCF MB15N301s in the original config.

They get powered by..

- Crest CA6 @ 16 Ohms stereo for the DE500's (around 200W)
- Crest CA9 @ 8 Ohms stereo for the MR8N301's (spec 600W)
- Crest CA9 @ 4 Ohm bridged per side for the MB15N301's (spec 2000W)

High and mid are limited well below clipping and the lows are 2 dB short of clipping so that should be pretty safe!

For processing we went with a XTA DP226 running in 2x2+2 so the mids and highs are stereo and the low + sub is summed and put out mono. This is hooked up to a laptop that we can control remotely with something fancy like the ipad LOL

Here are some picture's and a movie so let me know what you think! Big smile

Tocooltom View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tocooltom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2011 at 10:58am
Mega set up you got there mate, wheres the punishers or other bass bins?!
Loving the patch panel in the racks...just wot you need to do a job properly

MacgregorSound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MacgregorSound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2011 at 6:24pm
Thanks man! Pretty sweet set up indeed, but we need to there as some bands have big wishes ;) Next time when wére gonna finish the presets we are gonna use the Soundcraft Vi4 since i like that desk a lot more than i do the Profile.

There are no punishers there only a few J-Subs by D&B Audio powered by D12 amps :)

Here's a little better picture of the rack during use : 

Contour View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Contour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2011 at 3:50pm
Nice Stuff, I like the XTA.

For our X-tro prototype testing we also used Crest CA they are nice amps but no so good on bass I think. For the Punishers the CA did not do a great job. QSC Pl4.0/Pl6.0 or MC2 did much better.

(The 2x15" section can be quite power hungry, I hope you have enough power

EDIT: I see you use CA9 bridged, that should be enough! Hope the CA can keep up with the 2 ohms loading)

How are those 15" RCF doing on kick? With the original 18Sound drivers it is almost impossible to keep your head in front of the 2x15" section, it is like you head is going to explode.

How does the DE500 sound to you? I see you use different horn (original is a Beyma). I really like the DE500 it is very clean and can go quite loud.

Best regards,

Walt

Edited by Contour - 03 September 2011 at 3:55pm
MacgregorSound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MacgregorSound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2011 at 4:46pm
Hey Walt,

Yeah i sure hope the CA9 in bridge will keep up! The first gig with the X-Tros was a hardcore festival, outside with around 500 people and we ran at 6 dB below limiting all day so that's around 8 dB below clipping without any issues. (12 hours)

The RCFs are great! Can handle all the power we sling at it and unfortunatly you start hearing the wood at high levels. When we wére setting up limiters for the lows we measured 132 dB(c) at 5 meters on limiter treshold with pink noise. Not to shabby for a single cabinetLOL

The DE500 sounds great on this horn, i just hoped i could of crossed it a little lower but since whe are allready on the second pair of diafragms we'll keep it around 2,4K and safe Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply