Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Ported Enclosures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

12" sub idea

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edd Jordan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12" sub idea
    Posted: 04 September 2011 at 3:03pm
Hi all just putting up an idea for a sub my mate wants for his bed room. 
drum and bass and dubstep is his bag, just wondering what you think of this as a design.

Eminence Lab 12" driver in a 80lt box  40cm x 40cm x 50cm tuned to 28hz with a bass port out the back, cut off at around 90hz dosnt look to bad in winisd. any one had any experience with the lab driver??

Doesn't have to be killer loud but nice and flat and controlled bass is what he is after.

I do a sideline in ply wood wheels.
infrasound View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infrasound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2011 at 3:58pm
He will need a hefty amp if he wants it to go loud, but I have heard those LAB12s in reflexes and they do the business in small rooms!

Have you tried simming with a slightly larger enclosure? 100lt maybe?
infrasound View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infrasound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2011 at 4:00pm
Also may be worth looking into the ciare 12.00sw
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2011 at 4:18pm
BMS 12S330 will give you better results.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
Edd Jordan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edd Jordan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2011 at 7:33pm
Any idea where to get hold of the Bms 12s330 and the price? also going to make it active with one of these (maybe)

Like i said before it doesn't have too be crazy loud. hes only got a small room and one of these in a decent sized lounge with 500watts through it is going to be easily loud enough.

any one got any good sources for plate amps? 

MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2011 at 10:36pm
Contact Tony Wilkes here on the forum. He is the UK BMS guy.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edd Jordan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2011 at 11:36pm
of course Mr Wilkes. 

cheers 
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edd Jordan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2011 at 11:47pm
any ideas on plate amps, anyone?

technofreak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote technofreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2011 at 2:02pm

Hi,

Both plate amps seem to be good - Dayton has parametric EQ, Bkelec has variable phase and balanced input. That's about the differences. I personally would choose Dayton, for the EQ, but in some situations (sub farther away from mains or bandpass enclosure) variable phase would be more beneficial.

As for the box, I'd tune it a little lower - around 22...25 Hz to get that real subbass. Then use EQ to compensate for drooping low-end. In the end you get some ~105 dB at 20 Hz and ~110 at 30 Hz - that's without room gain. (I've been contemplating similar design myself, primarily for freq-s below 45 Hz, which is where my main speakers start dropping off.)

Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edd Jordan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2011 at 10:40pm
thanks for the advice. yeh iv all ready chosen a different driver going for the BMS 12s330 tuning it to around that and the dayton dose look good. going to put my plans up soon. my mate wants one but im going to go ahead and build it before he can afford it because if he dosnt want it ill have it. 
 Post Reply Post Reply