Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Punisher and X-tro
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Another about using different 15" drivers on XTro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another about using different 15" drivers on XTro

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krestudon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another about using different 15" drivers on XTro
    Posted: 13 September 2011 at 11:32am
Hello everyone,

I'm a newbie in this thing of DIY speakers and i've just made a 186 horn mainly for learning, ended with what i'll not call a perfect finish, but i've buyed some better woodworking tools so i hope the next will be better.

I've decided in building a pair of XTros, but i'm not a hire company nor any other type of company, just doing as a hobby for pleasure and medium sized parties. At a first though i think they'll not have to be pushed to their limits so i think i use somewhat cheaper 15" drivers, as the originals are a bit expensive and other bit difficult to get here in spain. For the 8" and 1" i think i'll stick to the recommended ones.

After reading all threads about Xtro in this subforum i managed to make a small list of other more or less suited drivers, but it seems i'm also unable to get the recommended P-Audio as the distributor here doesnt have it. And the 15WN76 and 15NDL76 are nearly as expensive as the 18 sound.

Then i've done a small search looking at similar specced drivers and finished with this:

Comparing with the recommended 18 sound, i've found the PD153 to be very similar, keeping aside the fact that surely it'll not fit. Can anyone tell me the width of the magnet? as the datasheet not.

The last is a P.Audio driver the local distributor can source and is the most similar i've found using neo magnet.

Do you think the PD153 will suit if i manage to get it inside the chamber?

Can anyone recommend other cheap driver to use?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by krestudon - 13 September 2011 at 11:33am
krestudon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krestudon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2011 at 9:35am
¿No one have one PD153 for measuring the back?

¿No opinions about this?

Edited by krestudon - 15 September 2011 at 9:35am
Tarkovsky View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarkovsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2011 at 3:20pm
Hi I'm really interested in this idea also... If anyone knows any cheaper drivers to go in the xtro that'd be fantastic. £800 is a lot to spend when the subs only cost £200 to build!
Rawcardo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rawcardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2012 at 2:18am
i would also like to know the answer to this question... but im not to worried about price.
i was thinking B&C 15NW100 PRO what do you guys think?
mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2012 at 5:56am
Originally posted by krestudon krestudon wrote:

EBP is a bit high on the SN-15b. Fist two is where you want to be aiming for

15nd930 (EBP) 156
pd153er (EBP) 166
krestudon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krestudon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2012 at 1:03pm
I finally managed to get some cheap Beyma 15p80nd and used them. I thought the specs could work:

Beyma 15p80nd T/S parameters

They're nearly finished. Still to clean and paint:

http://dymas.ii.uam.es/~jga/x-tro01.jpg - http://dymas.ii.uam.es/~jga/x-tro01.jpg

Edited by krestudon - 24 March 2012 at 1:08pm
mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2012 at 7:45am
How cheap?
Peter Jan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Jan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2012 at 10:29am
Someone still needs the measurements of these PD153ER ?
I have some on my table for reconing right now...
krestudon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krestudon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2012 at 11:20pm
Yes, please, give me the rear measures. Just total depth and magnet width.

Thank you.
Peter Jan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Jan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2012 at 7:39am
Total height : 15,5 cm for rear mount (~14,4 cm when front mounted)
Magnet width : 19,5 cm
 Post Reply Post Reply