Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

12" moniter cabinets

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Member Banned!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robotnation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12" moniter cabinets
    Posted: 11 July 2006 at 1:52pm
Im Looking to build about 4 moniters to reinforce the sound of my system, but im still not sure how to go about doing it.  Does anyone know Of a good coaxial 12" speaker that i could buy 4 of for cheap?  Im also considering just plain buying these things prebuilt since im a little over building for the time being.  Could any of you fix me up with some links for moniter plans that dont involve passive crossovers or additional horns?  Again im also not opposed to buying them prebuilt, i really just want to be done with my system so links to something that fits my needs would be apreciated...
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2006 at 6:13pm
The P-Audio SN-12C would be a cheap option, other suitable drivers eg B&C will give you high performance but won't be exactly cheap. The two don't generally go together.  You should be able to find a suitable ready-built  passive crossover to use with coaxials.  You're not going to be able to avoid passive crossovers without using a twin cone speaker or using active crossovers and extra amplifiers. 
gingerbiscuit69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gingerbiscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2006 at 12:18pm
i nearly bought some single 12" coax monitors on ebay recently ... were still like £400 a pair, but looked very compact and efficient!
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2006 at 5:28am
I built some a while back using the fane DX12HE (100dB sensitivity) and the cheap screw in P Audio compression driver. Used a standard eminence 3.5k hi pass filter. Performance was excellent...... sold them to a BBC sound engineer. He was well pleased but did commenton a slight hump at around 3.5k so might have been better off using a 5k filter.

The other alternative would be B&C drivers which, whilst not cheap are top quality, have the benefit of a decdicated crossover, and plans on the B&C website www.bcspeakers.com

Edited by markie - 24 August 2006 at 5:45am
james folkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james folkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2006 at 7:43pm
i have long craved a set of four quality 12" + 1" wedges (two active and two passive) to serve as dj/stage monitors, side fills and as a small venue pa with some 18" achenbach subs. after listening to a few examples of the breed i would really like to use co-axials. whilst the chances of me affording any in the near future are slim to non existent, i have still put a bit of time into researching components.

very few people seem to stock the dx12he and whilst nightfire list it, they don't have a price list on the web any more. the 98 dB dx12 is about £50, making the comparable b&c 12cxt seem pricey at £150 from pap. what's ever so nice about the b&c though is that the compression driver is integral, which by the time you've added a cd150 and a mating flange to the fane, narrows the price gap considerably. b&c is on a cast chassis and good for a few more watts too. no one seems to list the dedicated xo-2 crossover network, i wonder if it too is included in the package? it'd be nice... fane make the dedicated hpx14 crossover network for the dx12 although with no obvious mention of what compression driver that is to go with, presumably an hf100 or cd125, both screw fitting and comparable sensitivities.

looking at active cabs though i really want as much noise for the limited amp power as possible, beyma's offerings didn't look too great for sensitivity. i have been looking at the bk electronics class d module for a long time and see it as being ideal for the application. that means the fane is kind of the better bet, 2 dB is a lot. the dx12he is used in the far from budget omen-ra 18:12 studio monitors and has a good reputation, my heart says b&c though. academic really as my bank says neither!

james.
mardy hippy.
Dave Slater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Slater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2006 at 2:52pm
apparently the P.Audio BM-12CX38 is what's used in the Point One monitor Void produce

if it's good enough for Rog...

anyways been on this tip for a while and i think it's a pretty good candidate for the job granted it's not neo but WinISD reckons a 25L box tuned to 82.5Hz gives an F3 of 80Hz

a tiny box and ample depth for monitor duties...
james folkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james folkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2006 at 4:58pm
oh my, i've clearly missed more than half of p-audios co-axial transducers! that bm-12cx38 is an absolute beast! and at only 215 euros it's actually slightly cheaper than the b&c! you might need to add some tax to that i suppose. active's out of the window at that power rating though... 600 watts and a 4" voice coil... slightly confused why the point one monitor is rated at 100 dB sensitivity when the driver is only 98.

cheers dave, top tip that one.

james.
mardy hippy.
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2006 at 11:43pm

if you wanna go cheap and still sound good, i would do this

twin cone 12'' and 2 bullet's, could even go 3 bullets, stack them above each over and not side by side though

if height was an issue you could have the 12 with the bullet's on the side stacked above each other 

twin cone will go high enough and the bullet's will rip there deaf ear's off

or if you can afford it the B&C coax 12/2'' but dont use there sh-t crossover's

Edited by mykey - 31 August 2006 at 11:45pm
tb_mike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2006 at 7:28am
Originally posted by james, ind.st james, ind.st wrote:

oh my, i've clearly missed more than half of p-audios co-axial transducers! that bm-12cx38 is an absolute beast! and at only 215 euros it's actually slightly cheaper than the b&c! you might need to add some tax to that i suppose. active's out of the window at that power rating though... 600 watts and a 4" voice coil... slightly confused why the point one monitor is rated at 100 dB sensitivity when the driver is only 98.

cheers dave, top tip that one.

james.
James : The marketing department probably put a ruler across the peaks on the response to get 100dB lol

Whats a few dB among friends!
Mircea Bartic View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mircea Bartic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2006 at 7:33am
we are curently importing BM-12CXA for monitor duties here

verry good driver for about 180 euros
general manager & head designer at nexus-acoustics research
http://www.facebook.com/nexus.acoustics.research

Ex Nexus_3
 Post Reply Post Reply