Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Uprated CPU cooler or NOT!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2011 at 12:24am
I avoid anything other than Proliant, I love, know em and like em.....
But just bought a "rackable systems" dual Xeon box to build Hyper-V Vms at home, and just treated my loft to 2x DL320s one as an iScsi extension of the other, bit p1ssed 24X 2TB drive gives a lot less than 48TB and add ADG to that a lot less than 40TB!!!!!
Smile

Admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2011 at 10:04am
I switched to building servers inhouse now using Supermicro cases and motherboards. The power saving over HP off the shelf servers is incredible as can get up to 4 servers on for the same amount of power as 1 Proliant.

I do have a HP Proliant DL380 G5 with 1 x Quad Core Xeon 2.5Ghz (can take 2), 8 x SAS 146GB 10,000RPM SFF harddrives, and 24GB of RAM sat here that want to sale if you are interested.

It's a real workhouse and was used for around 18 months in a data centre. I believe also the RAID card has a battery backup as far as I recall.

Edited by bruce - 27 September 2011 at 10:07am
JudgeDredd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeDredd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2011 at 10:53am
Originally posted by The Builder The Builder wrote:

Bought an entire used Dell 830 the other day, getting nervous of the age of one of mine and the boards seem to be obsolete.

For same reason, I bought all the "parts" to make a '780.
Even with 1TB hd, 16gb DDR3, Quad core cpu, still cheaper than buying equivalent complete machine used. Stern Smile

Stock DELL huge cooler & fan assy(& £10 Maplin HSF compound) working great..

Edited by JudgeDredd - 27 September 2011 at 11:01am
"Please inform the Federation, we have engaged the Borg.."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12