Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"I dont worry about viruses, I have a Mac.."

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeDredd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "I dont worry about viruses, I have a Mac.."
    Posted: 28 September 2011 at 12:35pm
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/09/27/apple_updates_mac_malware_protection/

"Apple engineers pushed out the update around the same time that a new trojan was discovered menacing Mac users. According to Mac antivirus provider Intego, the Flashback trojan is built on a sophisticated code base that installs a backdoor on infected machines, and covers its tracks by using encryption when communicating with remote servers."

Smile.delete("Smug").

Edited by JudgeDredd - 28 September 2011 at 12:43pm
"Please inform the Federation, we have engaged the Borg.."
infrasound View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infrasound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2011 at 1:06pm
I'll keep on having my smug smile until I actually hear of someone having a virus on a Mac.

Windows on the other hand... Wink
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2011 at 1:31pm
Even the link (but not the text you chose to omit in your quote) states that Apple have already updated the operating system to prevent this, for free, for all users.

A trojan isn't a virus, by the way
JudgeDredd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeDredd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2011 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Even the link (but not the text you chose to omit in your quote)
<snip>

Both still unwanted infections, with different payload delivery techniques, but still the same consequences in most cases, with some Antivrus apps classing trojans as "trojan horse viruses". Wink

Chose a segment of the article for the quote, presented link for viewer to read entire article at their convenience.

Apple have already updated the operating system to prevent this, for free, for all users.

Oh, they have provided an update for free, that fixes a vulnerability caused by the previous update. Such exemplary service, not provided by other Software vendors.

Maybe someone should inform Intego and other Mac "Antivirus" Software vendors, they have no purpose then.

Edited by JudgeDredd - 28 September 2011 at 1:58pm
"Please inform the Federation, we have engaged the Borg.."
The Builder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2011 at 10:00pm
With respect to MAC users, "In the know", nearly all the ones I have the misfortune of visiting have bought them as a lifestyle choice and would not know if they were infected with the pox, never mind a trojan.
Pig
It just is.
Wrek0ne View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrek0ne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2011 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by The Builder The Builder wrote:

With respect to MAC users, "In the know", nearly all the ones I have the misfortune of visiting have bought them as a lifestyle choice and would not know if they were infected with the pox, never mind a trojan.
Pig

With respect to you that is an almost completely wrong statement in my eyes. Windows users, i.e. people that wander into any computer out let selling PC's pay their £200-£400 on a unit that they don't have any clue about. A Mac is a considerably larger investment, if your paying the money then you should know what you are buying into.

I believe Mac has produced is a much friendlier OS, irrelevant to the fact that I still have Windows booted on to my Mac getting the best of both worlds. Its not like Windows even gives you that option.

The Mac Vs Windows argument will go on for an eternity but if I'm honest we are both loosing to that cheeky little penguin lookin' mother f&$ker that calls himself Mr Linux. Stern Smile
Poll this!
Adam_Iron_Horse View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam_Iron_Horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2011 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by Wrek0ne Wrek0ne wrote:

I believe Mac has produced is a much friendlier OS, irrelevant to the fact that I still have Windows booted on to my Mac getting the best of both worlds. Its not like Windows even gives you that option.

Dont really see as there is much of a need to be able to use mac os on a pc...

Thought the main advantages of a mac where the graphics cards etc

but the ability of putting windows on it meant you could use progrmas you cant get on mac.

I suppose another advantage of macs where they are white...

*Grabs coat and Runs*
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2011 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by JudgeDredd JudgeDredd wrote:

Even the link (but not the text you chose to omit in your quote)
<snip>

Both still unwanted infections, with different payload delivery techniques, but still the same consequences in most cases, with some Antivrus apps classing trojans as "trojan horse viruses". Wink

Chose a segment of the article for the quote, presented link for viewer to read entire article at their convenience.

Apple have already updated the operating system to prevent this, for free, for all users.

Oh, they have provided an update for free, that fixes a vulnerability caused by the previous update. Such exemplary service, not provided by other Software vendors.

Maybe someone should inform Intego and other Mac "Antivirus" Software vendors, they have no purpose then.

Your accounts probably qualify for a trojan Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply