Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > HD 15 horn
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - New Construction, just wanting to confirm an idea.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Construction, just wanting to confirm an idea.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klampykixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Construction, just wanting to confirm an idea.
    Posted: 11 October 2011 at 12:52pm
Hi guys n gals. Im new to this forum and would like to firstly say HI! and secondly, ask a question about these apparently legendary HD15 horns!

Im a little lazy, so IMO, the curve seems a little above my ability, so instead of whinging about doing it, iv come up with an idea to do away with it.

My idea of the HD15 is as a gap filler between my Jbell SS15 subs and a Eminence Delta12a loaded reflex cab (my tops)

so heres a picture of what im intending.

can i just use a flat "curve" and have a horn tweeter in the front of it? 

i dont need low bass at all, just from about 100hz> but also helping the tops with the mids as well, as theyre quite a smooth sounding speaker, but also adding to the overall sound. 

so my setup will be this, 

2x delta tops  on 2x150w passed at about 150-200hz
2x HD15 on 2x350w passed at about 80~hz
2x SS15 on 2x1200w  + an extra SS15 with a 12inch driver and 600w

its going outside, in the bush, playing dance music (mostly Psytrance) to about 100people
Adam_Iron_Horse View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam_Iron_Horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2011 at 4:23pm
Think you would be lucky to fit the 15" driver and a horn unless it was small into that chamber..

There is plans somewhere on here to make an uncurved section for the hd15 without changing the sound too much will have to search for that.

njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2011 at 8:14pm
  A horn and comp driver won't fit into the rear chamber unless you radically change the plans and then it won't be a HD anymore, as mentioned above look for the 5 piece curve plans (although the curve isn't really that hard to do) and if you need more top end stick the tweeters in seperate enclosures on top of the stack.
GAZ. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAZ. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2011 at 11:22pm
Yeah definitly not enough room for a horn and CD in the chamber, the 15" more or less completly fills it.
100% Earth Moving Bass
klampykixx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klampykixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2011 at 7:26am
iv literally just drawn a scale image of what im thinking of, the drivers i have in mind for this project are admittedly only light duty, so aren't massively deep drivers, the tweeter horn in mind is 200mm deep, so it all fits within the horn. 

was mostly wondering if it will affect the output much.  the sealed part will be slightly bigger, and i plan on putting the woofer on the "front" side of the baffle, with an access panel on the outside of the rear, which will also increase the throat chamber a little. so it will be a fair bit different from the actual HD15 as far as accurate specs go, but overall should be sufficient for what im looking for.

what do you all think?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klampykixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2011 at 7:26am
btw, the picture i posted is pretty much spot on as far as scale goes.
Risc_Terilia View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Risc_Terilia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2011 at 8:08am
There is a 3 piece sectional design which is about a simple as your going to want to make it.  With your design only one of the 3 sections involves any expansion so you might as well make it one piece. Your design strays so far that it isn't an HD15 at all.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Risc_Terilia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2011 at 8:39am
here's the 3 piece plan http://forum.speakerplans.com/hd15-3-piece-curve_topic43820.html

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klampykixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2011 at 1:01pm
k, so this is the 3sections youre referring to, 

besides having a near perpendicular front panel, where mine is actually going to be perpendicular, the slope of the 2nd section could certainly be the same as that.

over such a short horn length will it really make that much difference? i genuinely dont know, so if you can help me understand the difference that it will make, i will be much more enlightened.

thanks
jbinks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbinks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2011 at 1:34pm
What's the point?

Why not just make a normal reflex box?
If you mess up the design that much then it no longer is a HD15 and the "horn" is pretty shit looking.

You'd get better results with a straight 15 and 1/1.4 reflex top.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klampykixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2011 at 1:37pm
or i could just  not run the tweeter and do it normally? 

it was just an idea, and apparently a bad one. i really didnt think that the sound would be that badly affected by having a straight expansion vs a curved expansion.

especially after reading this. 

Originally posted by Peter Jan Peter Jan wrote:

+1
In low frequencies up to several hundred Hz, those alterations do nothing at all, waves are much much larger than the relatively small size differences or other bends, corners and so on. In HD15 cabs, that is a 4th order bandpass cabinet really, the thing to look after is that the port (in this case a flared one) keeps more or less the same volume and openingsurface to keep the tuning where it supposed to be.

Edited by klampykixx - 12 October 2011 at 1:38pm
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Risc_Terilia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2011 at 5:32pm
You make a good case, if I were you i'd make a post about it on the new projects forum and i'd use a single straight piece instead of 3 pieces incorporating 2 largely redundant surfaces. 
 Post Reply Post Reply