Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Roots n Culture Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

reggae mic effects

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Umney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: reggae mic effects
    Posted: 22 July 2006 at 11:37am
Some reggae dances you get the selector's voice booming with volume and bass. Thats simple enough to figure out as he must have the bass control up on the mic.And have a powerfull/deep voice to start off with.

But what I couldn't figure out is when sometimes their voices echo a lot.And not just the room acoustics as I've heard very echoey voices outdoors too.Sounds like they are shouting in a tunnel lol, that kind of echo and reverb their voices have.
So they must be using some kind of mic processor or seperate mic pre-amp to get that effect?

Anyone know of a good cheap mic processor/pre-amp I could use to get that effect? My mic is the Shure SM58.

mskeete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mskeete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2006 at 1:28pm

just a "normal" echo chamber / digital delay. You just have to learn to set it for the effect you want

westsidesoundsy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westsidesoundsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2006 at 11:21am

We use a Digital Delay to do this will a 1/2 second or so delay.

Currently using Microverb 4 for this job.
westsidesoundsy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westsidesoundsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2006 at 11:27am
We use a digital Delay for this, with a delay of about 1/2 second for the decks and a bit less or so for the voice. So it does not over lap to much.  I have heard some sounds with a second + for the delay which IMO is to long, as if they are speaking fast it sounds rubbish.  Each to there own I guess.

We use 2 Digital delays 1 for the decks and CD sources and the other for Mics.

The reason I use two is so I can have the desk/CD on a 1/2 sec or so delay and the mics on a shorter one, so if we get DJ's or singers on the set it sounds good. MC's can get away with the longer delay.

regards

Westside
HMSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HMSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2006 at 12:13pm
The cheapest solution is probally the behringer virtuliser, you need to take time to programme a few good delays into it and then store them. From your mixer send and return so you can put the delay on your lick shot as well as your mic. (Obviously depends on what mixer u got)
Bless
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2006 at 10:24am
Try the Alto a verb (alpha verb). Dead compact, 1U high and just 1/2 rack space. It has reverb, delay, chorus, flanger etc plus some  combined effects (like delay and chorus). 16 different effects and each has 16 parameters so 256 variations. About £80 retail,  my mate has been using one for about 4 years now with no probs whatsoever.
 Post Reply Post Reply