Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > MT122
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

P.Audio SN12B Good For Horn Loading?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coastben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: P.Audio SN12B Good For Horn Loading?
    Posted: 23 July 2006 at 1:44pm
I know there is a lot of debate over Line Array, and that Rog doesnt as yet have any plans for any on the site, but I am wondering if P.Audio's SN12B driver are any good for use in a horn loaded design for Line Array?

Has any one tried? - Horn Loading them or in a Line Array, or both?

I did put one together, but was in no way satisfied with the result. loads of beaming, and very low spl -bearing in mind that I was driving 2 of them with a 1600W ?

On the horns I was using 2 x BMD 450 with waveguides. also very low spl, but i have almost sorted that problem out - used a bigger Flare.

40 Degrees in Winter
Mircea Bartic View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mircea Bartic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2006 at 2:59am
http://www.ramsdellproaudio.com/products/linearray/LA-2-12.htm

general manager & head designer at nexus-acoustics research
http://www.facebook.com/nexus.acoustics.research

Ex Nexus_3
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2006 at 4:32am
Firstly, you should have noticed there are plans on the site (eg MT122 :- this forum section) which suggest the SN12B as a mid-horn driver, so it is indeed suitable for horn loading.

Secondly, I don't believe that horn loading and line arrays go together.  Horns inherently reduce dispersion but for a line array to be useful, it needs a wide horizontal dispersion.  The popular big name line arrays all use direct radiating drivers.

That's my opinion anyway....
coastben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coastben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2006 at 2:15pm

Ok ceharden

I agree with you, thats why I was asking for other opinions. I have tried it however. it does seem to yield better spl's, and the dispertion is not too bad either. I have housed it in a Line Array-able cab, so i will use it as such. i am getting approx 100 degs horizontal and approx 20 degs vert.

Spl's are 102db/m @ 2,83V. any one getting any better out of a single P.Audio sn12b with 2x P.Audio bmd 450's

xover at 6K with 18db/oct passive.

Personally I dont like Line Array, but where i am the industry demands it. its a mental thing and no one will have anything else - it irritates me.....!

40 Degrees in Winter
Tom Umney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Umney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2006 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by ceharden ceharden wrote:

Firstly, you should have noticed there are plans on the site (eg MT122 :- this forum section) which suggest the SN12B as a mid-horn driver, so it is indeed suitable for horn loading.

Secondly, I don't believe that horn loading and line arrays go together.  Horns inherently reduce dispersion but for a line array to be useful, it needs a wide horizontal dispersion.  The popular big name line arrays all use direct radiating drivers.

That's my opinion anyway....

I proved you wrong I think: http://www.eaw.com/products/KF911F.html  and http://www.eaw.com/products/KF910F.html are line array horn loaded cabs.

ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2006 at 5:11am
Um, maybe not Toxic.  Firstly those are point source array not line source array cabs I'm afraid.  Secondly I didn't say that you can't have a horn loaded line array, Martin Audio have a few for starters.  In my experience however, I think that direct radiating line array boxes work better.

Granted this is only one example, but....  Recently did two big festival shows with the same band a few days apart.  One stage had V-Dosc which uses front-loaded drivers and the other was W8-LC (Longbow) which is a horn loaded line array.   Everyone I spoke to who had heard both shows agreed that the V-Dosc worked better in terms of sound quality, coverage, number of boxes required etc.

Post Reply Post Reply