Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > MT122
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WHY NOT REFLEX?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dref Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2011 at 8:55pm
Hi Fritz

Do you mean if you put the port output directly in the horn or like I have done?

Problem is I have never heard a usb. But if you mean standard reflexes(no horn) then 3 times as many as a well design hornWink 
If you have usb's then why would you want to extent the response of the 12" horn down low?

About the kenford. I would not recommend it without further testing. I don't trust any of the specs given for itTongue
But I would certainly recommend that one bought a single one and tested it and saw how much abuse it could take. And how well it performed in the intended design. Problem is that I have never had mine out with a bottom end that have had any chance of keeping up with them, so I don't know how they perform under high power conditions.

One thing I can say for sure, which could be an important issue in PA, they will not work forever in high humid conditions, because the cone is not coated.
airbell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2011 at 8:17pm
good question,
i always thought if you put your horn parameters in and add ap and lpt (for example 150cm² and 15cm length) it means the port goes outside the horn along the horn to the hornmouth, so the same as your tops in the pictures.
but if it means that the port is at the area where the chassis is placed and aims into the hornthroat
somebody should tell me!!

"But if you mean standard reflexes(no horn) then 3 times as many as a well design hornWink"

what do you mean with that?
that you would need 3x12" horn/hybrid/reflex tops to have the same output than 1xa good 18" only reflex base, or the inverse?Confused

for my calculations you'd need 2 good 12" with good excursion at least 5mm to keep up with a half usb.
and a half usb is around 4-6db louder than a single 18" reflex box between 70 and 200hz...
just wondered if its the same in real life with the 12"reflex horn tops vs usb.

is about i want to make my system bigger, have already 4 mt121 tops and was considering to save  space and money to make them reflex and let the usbs..
subs are good up to 80hz.

ahh sounds really interesting with the kenfords and maybe i ll order one  too in the future, made me curiousSmile,
but not now...

cheers

Dref View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dref Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2011 at 9:07pm
"i always thought if you put your horn parameters in and add ap and lpt (for example 150cm² and 15cm length) it means the port goes outside the horn along the horn to the hornmouth, so the same as your tops in the pictures."

You are exactly right.Smile

But when it comes to phase issues one has to consider the distance from port output to the horn output. (~0 in this case) Path difference can be adjusted in Hornresp under combined response.

One thing that is also very important is the lenght of the rear chamber. (Quite long in my case, and that gives rise to some cancellation. Which is less dominant when used in a corner.)

"But if you mean standard reflexes(no horn) then 3 times as many as a well design hornWink"

- That was because I was not sure what you where asking. But I think that I understand now.

Making your mt121 ported will not be able to replace your usb's. My horns is a double 12" and longer than the mt121. And they can't do kick in reflex mode anywhere near as good as proper kickbins.

The only time I use mine in port mode is for small things indoor, where they are used as standalone for non bass heavy music. Or with a single dedicated sub for other music styles.

Edited by Dref - 26 October 2011 at 9:08pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12