Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A-level sub project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Rolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2004 at 5:19pm

Ok, after spending all day comparing drivers I've decided on a Beyma 15" G40.

I've also worked out costs and it should be about £200 before timber and a grill so probably around £300, although my school may be able to supply some of the timber.

Thanks for all your help, just got to design the cab now

Chris

RayVaughn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayVaughn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2004 at 4:29pm
Since you're not paying for your time in building this box then you can afford to go to town on the woodwork.
Try and brace all the sides as effectively as possible. Use thin mdf or ply to span the internal cavity. This should be realtively easy with a reflex cabinet. More bracing increases weight and volume but can improve the sound a lot. Most cheap cabinets suffer from ugly sound colouration due to the wooden panels resonating.
---------------
Ray Vaughn and on
www.innerfield.co.uk
www.rocketfestival.com
staiper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote staiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2004 at 7:55pm

If you like punchy bass more than low/slow try my bandpass horn. Maybe it is good option for you.. (I am using them in stacks of two to eight per side..) but even single cabinet produce pretty solid lows (-3db @ 54Hz).

plans: http://groups.msn.com/SpeakerBuildingpics/shoebox.msnw?actio n=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=19

Jez_Ultra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jez_Ultra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2004 at 10:30pm

I reckon a reflex box is going to be the easiest to design, build and would suit your requirements better than a bandpass or horn design.  twin 15's are out due to the size restriction, and a single 15 a bit weedy, go for a single 18".  Thomann are selling RCF 18P300's for about £180 quid (i waiting for some abuse).  download a copy of winISD from http://www.linearteam.dk/ and look at some other resources on the net and you shouldn't have any problems designing a reflex box. 

Andrew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2004 at 6:29am
Part of the project could be to optimise speaker box side ratios whilst having minimal sheet wastage.  Of course offcuts can be used to help brace the cabinet.  My reflex cabs have three brace pieces to stop vibrations and help support further cabinets.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123