Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > MT122
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

why 12mm on the baffle?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keilamym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: why 12mm on the baffle?
    Posted: 22 November 2011 at 8:05pm
hey guys, im just curious to know why baffle is made with 1/2 plywood while the rest of the speaker is 3/4 plywood... im doing a test build and completly forgot... atleast i hadn't installed them yet...

thanks in advance..
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2011 at 8:16pm
the original plan is for the baffle and the flare sections in 12mm. the baffle is a double so it ends up as 24mm..
keilamym View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keilamym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2011 at 8:21pm
darn good catch cravings.. i didn't realise the flare was 12mm also..  guess thats why its called a test build huh.. lol
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2011 at 8:33pm
i built some earlier this year.. lots of thinking involved hehe
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2011 at 8:38pm
no harm at all in making the flare from thicker material.. once the internal size is the same you're good.

i drew it all out in CAD myself just to completely familiarise myself with all the parts.. they turn out marginally different to the dimensions on the plans i think.

worth learning some CAD for stuff like this.. but 2d cad can't work out the compound mitre angles for the vertical flare bits.. i think i just went at it with scrap bits and trial and error till i had them right (think it's 3.5° or something)

if you don't know what i'm on about there... you'll get there..

Edited by cravings - 22 November 2011 at 8:39pm
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2011 at 8:38pm
or (sorry just keep adding bits to my posts)... when i say "it's 3.5°" ... i think that's what i set my saw at..
keilamym View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keilamym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2011 at 9:51pm
im goin thru the test build now... mistakenly didn't buy any 12mm ply so back to the store i go...  thanks cravings.. how do you like the mt122? im planning to replace my 8 yamaha s115s with 6 MT122s
 Post Reply Post Reply