Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mid/Tops to compliment 1850s

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpeccyTwat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2004 at 9:04pm

We was gunna build some MTs but after the 1850s we thought f**k that!!! 9Anyway, we didn't want to be just like Julz!

If you've got the cash, Stasys3 - as loud as FK1 res 4, and clearer IMHO - but not as good looking.

Oh and they're 75kgs each

Andrew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2004 at 8:57am

Yeah the Stasys 3 are very nice.  Just wondering SpeccyTwat, how do you load test the ice for all the 1850s?

Fushion Julz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fushion Julz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2004 at 11:54am

Have to say, building the MT122s was harder and more time consuming than building the 1850 Horns...

I already had a pair of OHM TRS212 mid-tops (2 12" Mids and a 1.5" Comp driver) and these are almost exactly the same height and width as the MT122. Partly, that was the reason I decided to build those, rather than the MT102 design...

Since completing the build of the MT122, I have purchased another pair (S/H) of the TRS212s and so no have 3 pairs of mid-tops...

The reason I purchased the second pair of TRS cabs (cos I was going to build a second pair of MT122s) was that the price offered for the TRS (£500 each) with new drivers was almost exactly the cost of building the MT122s, but no building required!

FUSHION SOUNDSYSTEM

www.fushion.org.uk
PASC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PASC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2004 at 6:35pm

Easy cooling system for the 12" loudspeakers in the MT-122 or similars.

To avoid the "THERMOS FLASK" effect in back chamber and consequently compression  due overheat I've used a simple system. I always cut out a 50 mm hole at the back removable panel just alined with the back vent of the loudspeaker and put between them a ring(s) with 100 mm diameter also with a 50 mm hole and the height necessary to make them fit yhem just between panel and loudspeaker, and after I see it fits toghether well line between the three parts a circle of strip of mass that never dry, as well as between the back panel and the back chamber horn so sealing all except the hole which communicates the bobin with the outside of the horn.

Also note that this approach will problably work with horns like Labhorn - necessary change folding putting back chamber to the back side of the horn, and with the new 15 Labhorn(could use a long 90 degrees curve can connecting back vent of the speaker to back side of the horn). No failure of the loudspeakers due to overheat I think justify trying it and certainly would be cheaper. 

Paulo Duto    

Timber_MG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber_MG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2004 at 7:45pm
I have been thinking about this a fair bit, but If the horn isn't almost perfectly terminated (i.e. CIR>=1) there must be a compromize somewhere. Then again, if the helhmolz frequency of that configuration is significantly below fc, it might work. I just recon that the best way is to mount the magnet facing outwards into the horn and still have all the benefits of a good "pure" horn.

New 15" Labhorn? Care to elaborate?
tb_mike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2004 at 1:13am
Martin- im keen to design a 15" labhorn replacement. Vd would have to be equal or more than labhorn though-TCsounds?
loophole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loophole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2004 at 1:33am
if we're going to design a new sub horn theres no point making our kick horn fit the lab perfectly. if you're serious about this then maybe the first project should be put on hold until we get some rough dimensions for the sub
in what ways would you plan to improve on the labhorn anyway?
JD01 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2004 at 10:09am
I don't think that 15" is the right way if you want to go down to 30Hz and below. Yeah, it will model with a 15" and it will look good, but the real world output (max SPL) will be below the modelled output.
Timber_MG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber_MG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2004 at 6:50pm
I think you wil have a tough time to come up with something for that application. With very big mouths there are also other factors that come into play other than what McBean predicts and you need a very strong driver and something with a deep, stiff conical cone (preferebly treated, and I don't mean waterproofed or dammar)

I agree with JD01. The driver if used properly isn't that bad for the intended application (4+ groundstack) and to make a design really worth the while, you'd have to come up with something quite out of the ordinary. Given the cost and shlep of s big horn, one has IMHO (others differ on exactly this point) a suitable driver. 15" -> Adire Tumult. 18" Void/PD are good options and proven alternatives.

I myself am working on a sub horn, but intendd bandwidth is 43Hz to 160Hz, so a different target than the LAB (and due to cost a single 15/18")

Bigger drivers and other foldings will add significantly to the dimentions of the cab if you desire equivalent bandwidth. IMHO, a horn which is useable in a stack of 2+(with some eq) and in a stack of 4+ gets down -3dB to 40Hz might be a more practical proposition.

Doable, but it'd have to be really good.
tb_mike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2004 at 9:38am

JD01 - Theres no reason why a single 15" wont acheive desired output. Consider the RMS rating of a typical 15" being 600-800w rms,if it had the same power compression figure as lab12 at its 800w rms rating,it will acheive the same SPL.

I think that since the psycho sub dissapeared(?) that people might like something WSX extension type,that will reach lower than 1850 horns.

-Im not really bothered,since i cant build it myself,ive already got my 34hz home horn plans.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12