Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Punisher and X-tro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Errors In Punisher II Measurements?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssbothwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Errors In Punisher II Measurements?
    Posted: 08 January 2012 at 2:18am
Hello. I am trying to recreate the punisher ii plans in google sketchup in anticipation of building a system. i noticed that there are some mistakes in the measurements. 

I labeled some points in the plans to make it easier to identify what i am talking about:
http://i.imgur.com/ndwLZ.jpg

here are the errors i found:

1. Angle BAC is supposed to be 50degrees. Yet when i put point B at 30.4cm from the right and 30.8cm from the bottom and point A at 11cm from the top and 0cm from the right then angle BAC comes out to ~48.7degrees.

2. According to reinforcement2005.jpg Line DE is supposed to be at a 106degree angle from the X axis. However, when i put the ends where specified in the plans (D = 11cm from the top and 13.3cm from the left; E = 21.2cm from the left and 28.1cm from the bottom) then the angle is ~105.8.

3. There are similar discrepancies in the angles provided for the bottom reinforcement.

Here are the measurements that are completely missing from the plans:

1. the floating 25cm long piece in the lower right of the 'Section A-A' image is not given an X coordinate. The plans give the length (25cm and the heights of the left and right edges (15.3cm and 22.4cm) but there is no indication of the distance along the X axis.

2. There is a short piece that looks like it is a structural reinforcement right near the speaker cavity which i have labeled F. The plans do not indicate its precise position.

All of these errors result in things being a couple degrees off here and there. There are no really major discrepancies and i was able to just fudge the values in sketchup to make the layout look right.

here is a screenshot from my sketchup model: http://i.imgur.com/ghoWZ.png

how important is all of this? I was initially under the impression that the punisher system was highly tuned but, based on the fact that these errors exist in the plans, it looks like none of the measurements are very critical. is that correct?

cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2012 at 2:40am
never built them, nor drawn them up so just throwing this out there....

but you are definitely drawing them in 15mm material?
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2012 at 2:49am
ok i was bored and curious so i've just drawn a bit of it in qcad... and i get 50.343056° for your angle BAC... so i dunno...
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2012 at 3:03am
i get 106.378421° for the angle you said you got 105.8 for....

i have a nice saw, but i don't know if i'd be confident that i could get it to cut 106.37° instead of about 106...
ssbothwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssbothwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2012 at 11:50pm
thanks so much for checking those errors. i made a mistake on the BAC angle. i had measured 11cm from the outside face of the top panel not the inside face. i now am measuring the same ~50.3°.

i checked my measurements on the other angle i mentioned and i definitely am getting 105.8°. are you sure you about your 106.37° angle?

also, i am measuring 79.4° on the angle marked 79°.

i suppose these discrepancies only come out to millimeters of difference in the final cuts and may not matter acoustically. 

Edited by ssbothwell - 09 January 2012 at 12:05am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssbothwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2012 at 2:23am
i also have a question about Section B-B. Are the outer dimensions of Section B-B 81.5cm x 50cm ?

Tocooltom View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tocooltom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2012 at 4:16pm
the cabinet dimensions are 70 x 81.5 x 50

The small structural support panel that has no dimensions should be close to the edge of the driver hole in the baffle (within 1/2cm of the edge) the position will have little effect. You may want to think about how you will secure it to the baffle and if this will clash with the driver when it is fitted. If your using sketch up cant you scale from the original drawing to get an approximate position?

the panel that is not dimensioned in section A-A (lower right) this is the horn mouth support panel, the reason it is not dimensioned is because it is does not matter where it is placed, you could remove it altogether if you wanted to. I think this is left open to you imagination, maybe to make each cab slightly individual? The puns i built had curved mouth support panels. the Puns im buying have long V shaped panels, most people use the straight normal panels shown in the plan.

The drawing is a 3rd angle orthographic projection if you didnt already know, all the horizontal and vertical lines match up so section B-B will be measured from section A-A.
darkmatter View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2012 at 10:03pm
'Errors'
1. In the cut sheet, 50.3 angle is given.
2 / 3. Sorry I'm too lazy for pythagoras, you're probably right and that these are just rounding inconsistencies or don't matter hugely in the scheme of things. Go with your sketchup model if you can get the accuracy with your tools.

'Missing'
1. P16 dimensions on the cut sheet may help?
2. P12 in cut sheet, not full cabinet width, seals chamber so its position does matter.

Speakerstore.nl has mockups, construction pics and cutsheet doc in case you were getting the plans elsewhere.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssbothwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2012 at 1:15am
Originally posted by Tocooltom Tocooltom wrote:

The small structural support panel that has no dimensions should be close to the edge of the driver hole in the baffle (within 1/2cm of the edge) the position will have little effect. You may want to think about how you will secure it to the baffle and if this will clash with the driver when it is fitted. If your using sketch up cant you scale from the original drawing to get an approximate position?

thanks so much for the explanations. are the two angled structural supports in section b-b also of little effect? is it okay if i estimate the angles for them?
Tocooltom View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tocooltom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2012 at 8:25am
as darkmatter says, If your using the plans from speakerstore.nl then your should find the cut sheet showing both panels that you mention, their dimensions, and from that it should be pretty easy to work out where they fit. look at the exploded model on speakerstore and the pictures of builds
darkmatter View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2012 at 12:46am
Originally posted by ssbothwell ssbothwell wrote:

thanks so much for the explanations. are the two angled structural supports in section b-b also of little effect? is it okay if i estimate the angles for them?

it must be airtight and as rigid as possible. if you have a google sketchup model you shouldn't need to estimate angles?
Tocooltom View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tocooltom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2012 at 9:12am
Originally posted by darkmatter darkmatter wrote:

Originally posted by ssbothwell ssbothwell wrote:

it must be airtight and as rigid as possible. if you have a google sketchup model you shouldn't need to estimate angles?

+1 plenty of glue, i use polyurethane glue but each to their own. Plenty of screws (one every 2/3 inches at least), maybe try some double bracing if you feel like it, any extra bracing and rigidity will help but could make the cab heavy.

Using the drawings, the cut sheet and maybe a small amount of trigonometry you should easily be able to build the cabs without using google sketchup
 Post Reply Post Reply