Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > X10, X12, X15 and XM15
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1 inch vs 2 inch Comp in X15 Cab

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audioalliance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1 inch vs 2 inch Comp in X15 Cab
    Posted: 10 February 2012 at 2:31pm
Hello Guys

Decisions, Decisions -  I'm in the process of refurbishing a couple of my X15 cabs with some Selenium D220Ti Compression Drivers (available in 1" and 2") 

But what I would really like to find out is the Pros & Cons of using a 1 inch comp driver compared to a 2 inch comp driver in a modded X15 cab??

http://www.myspace.com/audioalliance
music is our mission
wires View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wires Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2012 at 7:39pm
2" comps will reach lower crossover points, but usually not perform as well on the very high frequencies. Vice versus on the 1" comps.
Obviously there are always exceptions to this, there is not really any rules to follow as each driver is different.

All depends on what 15" you are using, box tuning, what crossover point you choose, what horn you couple the compression driver with and what power handling it can all take at said frequencies. Quite a lot really.

I have made a pair of 15" + 1" before, and crossed around 2.5khz which i think is fairly high. Always get compliments from them but they need a little notch on the eq around 2-3khz. I'm happy with them though.

Edited by wires - 10 February 2012 at 7:40pm
audioalliance View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audioalliance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2012 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by wires wires wrote:

2" comps will reach lower crossover points, but usually not perform as well on the very high frequencies. Vice versus on the 1" comps.
Obviously there are always exceptions to this, there is not really any rules to follow as each driver is different.

All depends on what 15" you are using, box tuning, what crossover point you choose, what horn you couple the compression driver with and what power handling it can all take at said frequencies. Quite a lot really.

I have made a pair of 15" + 1" before, and crossed around 2.5khz which i think is fairly high. Always get compliments from them but they need a little notch on the eq around 2-3khz. I'm happy with them though.

Hmmm... That's a lot of stuff to compute But let me ask you this - What does your 15" + 1" cabs consist of... 
music is our mission
4642a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4642a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2012 at 9:55pm
generally speaking, the 2" exit driver will have less distortion....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audioalliance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2012 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by 4642a 4642a wrote:

generally speaking, the 2" exit driver will have less distortion....

Does this "less distortion" improve on the overall sound quality and bass???
music is our mission
infrasound View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infrasound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2012 at 10:10pm
1.4" is a nice compromise.

2"s that sound sweet all the way up aren't all that cheap! 1"s are limited to 1k3, but you can get some seriously nice ones that can cross at 1k5 for not too much money.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audioalliance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2012 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by infrasound infrasound wrote:

1.4" is a nice compromise.

2"s that sound sweet all the way up aren't all that cheap! 1"s are limited to 1k3, but you can get some seriously nice ones that can cross at 1k5 for not too much money.

Any idea of a brand of 2" drivers that cross at 1k5 at an even better price???
music is our mission
infrasound View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infrasound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2012 at 11:14pm
Not too sure on brands for 2"s im afraid. Would have thought pretty much any 2" is happy at 1k5 though!
 Post Reply Post Reply