Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > 1850 and 186 horns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

loading 1850

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hmaudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2012 at 4:52pm
mark out where you want the t nut to and then drill a 6mm hole, put the t-nut on the other side and hammer it into the wood untill it is flush with the wood. if you really need it il do a picture guide for you but it really is simple 
Nottingham based cab builder. https://www.facebook.com/HMAudio-154352667920145/?ref=bookmarks
This account is used by 2 people.
AM55 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AM55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2012 at 5:12pm
Ideally you want to install the Tnuts after you have cut the hole in the baffle for the driver but before you have assembled the cab. Put the driver over the hole, centre it and mark out the bolt pattern. Drill the appropriate size hole install the Tnuts as follows.

lukehaze1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lukehaze1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2012 at 6:27pm
where would the speaker clamp go ?
wires View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wires Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2012 at 7:31pm
Use allen socket bolts with the t-nuts, so much better than screw type bolts.
AUDIO HABIT View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUDIO HABIT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2012 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by wires wires wrote:

Use Allen socket bolts with the t-nuts, so much better than screw type bolts.

yep was going to say this ..defo Allen bolts,you would never get the tightness with Philips heads,let alone have the room to get to them  

and i'm quite sure you don't use them clamps,you just fix the driver to the baffle using the holes in the driver and a washer maybe
https://www.facebook.com/fxstageproductions
Twirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2012 at 10:16pm
I'll also advise using allen bolts, torx would be even better! - I've recently switched to using torx screws and bolts, they are brilliant.

I would also recommend that instead of knocking the tnut in with a hammer, you use a large washer and tighten the bolt until the tnut is fixed in position (without the driver in place). 
This helps to ensure it goes in straight, without taking chunks out of the side of the hole. A wonky tnut will have you in tears when you cross-thread it and the prongs rip out of the wood.

Also, put a bit of grease on the bolt. If you feel resistance when screwing it in, stop and double-check you are not cross-threading it.

Edited by Twirl - 25 February 2012 at 10:17pm
wires View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wires Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2012 at 10:18pm
I'm sure you can get the tightness and a stubby screwdriver in there, it's just easier with Allen sockets. If the driver is in fairly brutal sub cab i would even go as far as putting a spring washer in, but not absolutely needed.

Use stainless steel ones as well, i refurbed a few old cabs the other week and the old bolts had rusted on to the t-nuts and had to cut them out in the end; which took an age.
AM55 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AM55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2012 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by lukehaze1 lukehaze1 wrote:

where would the speaker clamp go ?

If you are bolting straight through the bolt holes in the basket you don't need clamps.
lukehaze1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lukehaze1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2012 at 1:52pm
also when connecting the driver to the speakon sockets is there a dominant type of  red&white speaker wire you can use? jw . 
infrasound View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote infrasound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2012 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by lukehaze1 lukehaze1 wrote:

also when connecting the driver to the speakon sockets is there a dominant type of  red&white speaker wire you can use? jw . 

I just use old pieces of 2.5mm^2 speaker cable.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12