Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Korg Zero 8 Power Supply

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2012 at 8:13pm
If it didn't go bang with bulged caps then it won't go bang with good ones. Stick it on the mains, it will work.
Kevin

North Staffordshire

service dept Steve View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote service dept Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2012 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by kedwardsleisure kedwardsleisure wrote:

If it didn't go bang with bulged caps then it won't go bang with good ones. Stick it on the mains, it will work.

Yes, I agree with that, now is the time for you to be brave and plug it straight into the mains, the lightbulb will make the power supply (not incorrectly) think that there isn't enough power to switch it on so it will simply keep on trying to start. If you absolutely must use a light bulb as a current limiter it would need to be big, 500w at least, but as the psu wants about 30w to run a 60w light bulb will only allow it to charge to 160v, which is not always enough to make it start correctly.
Run it for a few seconds at first just to make sure.
Good luck!
We are not "They", We are "The others"http://www.servicedept.co.uk -
Joebags View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joebags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2012 at 12:50pm
Fired it up today with the new caps and it worked!

No distortion on  output. Sounds good.

Joe
Wherever you go, there you are.
TenBensons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TenBensons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2012 at 8:28am
Hi there,
I wish to find a power supply unit for my korg zero 8 as mine too is kaput, I'm not up to the task of replacing the capacitors as I have limited experience in electronics. I would like to know where I would be able to find a unit that replaces my psu.

The model number etc on mine is
MODEL NO.: 3B-455XX01
INPUT: 100-240V~,50-60Hz,1.5A
OUTPUT: (1) +5V/2.0A (2) +12V/1.0A (3) +18V/0.5A (4) -18V/0.5A (5)+48V/0.1A

I have tried the sites listed in the earlier posts but to be honest I don't really know what I'm looking for, if anyone can help I would be most appreciative.

Edited by TenBensons - 18 April 2012 at 8:50am
Joebags View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joebags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2012 at 8:53am
I had a look on the net for a suitable replacement for this power supply but I had no luck. Korg just said that the product is discontinued. Maybe one of their distributors or service centers might have one??

Farnell have quite a range of switch modes to choose from might be worth having a look there.

Let me know if you find one would be nice to know for future reference.

Best of luck!

Joe
Wherever you go, there you are.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TenBensons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2012 at 9:07am
Thanks for the quick reply I'm having a look now but I don't know exactly what I'm looking for/at. In the output filter on Farnell do I select 4? As there is no option for 5 (as there are 5 outputs listed on the side of the large capacitor)

Edited by TenBensons - 18 April 2012 at 9:17am
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote service dept Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2012 at 9:45am
Originally posted by TenBensons TenBensons wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply I'm having a look now but I don't know exactly what I'm looking for/at. In the output filter on Farnell do I select 4? As there is no option for 5 (as there are 5 outputs listed on the side of the large capacitor)

I'm sure you would admit to being a little lost with this, As these have dangerous voltages on them I would not recommend that you go any further on this repair yourself. There are plenty of repairers out there who will be happy to either repair or replace the supply for you far cheaper that replacing the unit after you have been unsuccessful and blown it or yourself sky high..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TenBensons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2012 at 10:37am
Yes I am lost totally, I was hoping that it would be a case of finding the right replacement unit and then mounting it back in and plugging in the two cables again. I do respect your advice and don't want to cause myself any injury is there anywhere you would recommend for repairs?
Thanks
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote service dept Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2012 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by TenBensons TenBensons wrote:

Yes I am lost totally, I was hoping that it would be a case of finding the right replacement unit and then mounting it back in and plugging in the two cables again. I do respect your advice and don't want to cause myself any injury is there anywhere you would recommend for repairs?
Thanks

That depends on where you are (or which country you are in for that matter) If you update your profile I'm sure that someone will be along soon...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TenBensons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2012 at 12:52pm
Lol I'm in Hampshire in the UK , Im currently awaiting a reply from http://www.audiorelated.com/ as to weather they can repair it or not

Edited by TenBensons - 18 April 2012 at 12:54pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote service dept Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2012 at 12:55pm
You can put it in the post to me if they can't help you, I don't charge their £60 per hour either...

Edited by service dept Steve - 18 April 2012 at 12:59pm
haens_daempf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haens_daempf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2017 at 11:31am
Hey guys,
i just finished repairing the psu of my Korg Zero 4 by changing out all of the condensators of the DC-section of the psu.
For refrence heres a list of the condensators i needed (cost me about 10€ in total):

all of them have a diameter of 8mm, the height isn´t an issue because theres enough room in the z-direction in the psu...

4 x 220uF   25VDC
2 x 470uF   25VDC
2 x 1000uF 10VDC (these ones i mistook for the 470uF because they are really crampend in there, so i needed to order them serparately...)
2 x 100uF   63VDC

hope this helps someone else as well.

Best of luck ;)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12