Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RMX2450 Knobs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RMX2450 Knobs
    Posted: 11 March 2012 at 3:43pm
Hey all,

I wanna give my amps a squirt of switch cleaner, how do the volume knobs on the QSC come off? Do they just pull off? I tried giving them a bit of a tugged but they don't seem to move and neither I nor Lev wanted to force them.

Cheers,
Sam
taurusty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taurusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2012 at 4:13pm
They pull off, if I recollect correctly. Better  you pull down the amp & remove the module in it"s entirety & clean properly. Think switch cleaner mite damage the tracks
duck1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duck1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2012 at 4:14pm
I cleaned the pots on pair of these a couple of years back. IIRC, the knobs just slide off. I ended up taking the whole pot apart to clean it though...
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2012 at 9:09pm
Yes, pull off knobs. .
Kevin

North Staffordshire

ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2012 at 9:32pm
The only way to successfully clean the pots on those amps is to remove them from the board, bend the little tabs that hold them together, dismantle and then clean with a cotton bud soaked in switch cleaner.  At which point it is probably easier just to fit a new set.  Unfortunately just squirting some switch cleaner into them doesn't really help with the root cause of the problem.

I recently dismantled some to try and find out why they failed so quickly on these amps.  The answer appears to be that it's not the carbon track that gets dirty but the conductive track which joins the wiper back to the centre contact oxidising up.  Looks like silver plating that's getting tarnished.
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2012 at 9:39pm
Made by Taiwan Alpha. Cheap pots in an otherwise good amp.
I fit a superior type when they go.
Kevin

North Staffordshire

SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2012 at 1:58am
Which one do you recommend?
 Post Reply Post Reply