Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adding to system

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigey-C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adding to system
    Posted: 13 September 2006 at 6:51pm
Hi, I am currently running a 4way stereo systems. I am adding some extra bass to the system as it lacks a bit in that area. I am adding 4Punishers per side... (yes 8 in total)..

but my question starts here. I am running a BSS OmniDrive 388 ( think thats the one) which is running in 4way stereo mode, which i dont want to change...

I am looking for a cheap option to allow me to running the extra bass making a 5way system.

I thought i could get a cheap ish 2way crossover and cross it over at about 60-70Hz ish, and send below that to my punisher amp rack and above that to my Omnidrive... Now this is where it fouls up... all the 2way crossovers i have looked at, the lowest they will cross over on the bass is 220Hz, which is useless to me...

Is there any possible way in which i can do this?? i dont want to use the punishers underneath my current rig all the time. Can someone help me out?? I am looking to keep it as low cost as possible... and i would like to try an avoid using a LPF wired in the back of the punishers and a HPF wired in the back of my current bass cabs...

Is there some form of LPF an HPF i can rack mount??

All answers would be highly appreciated! and the quickest answer gets a free lolly..
rinse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rinse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2006 at 7:10pm
Use the omnidrive for the lowest four bands and send the top two to the 2 way crossover?
Nigey-C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigey-C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2006 at 7:21pm
as i said, the omnidrive is set up for my current rig... and thats the rig tht always goes out, and i want to be able to add the punishers without messing about with rewiring my rig completely...
rinse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rinse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2006 at 8:10pm
Sorry I didn't realise it does not allow multiple presets.

SUPER-X PRO CX2310?
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2006 at 8:39pm
I would run the lowest two ways in mono. So your outputs might go:

1 Sub (Punishers?)
2 Bass (mono)
3,4 Low Mid L,R
5,6 High Mid L,R
7,8 Highs L,R

Cheapest and simplest way is to use what you've already got. The rewiring should be minimal.  Might need a couple of 'Y' cables. Or none if you go over to running your bass mono all the time.  Just save a program for with and without the Punishers.

Edited by ceharden - 13 September 2006 at 8:42pm
Nigey-C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigey-C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2006 at 8:49pm
oh yeah, never thought about running bass in mono... cheers for that

Now ive just got to remember how to set a program in the omnidrive... good job i downloaded the manual (all 66pages of the thing)

Edited by Nigey-C - 13 September 2006 at 8:52pm
rinse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rinse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2006 at 9:58pm
Embarrassingly, I didn't notice that either.  Bass should be mono already.
Bryan M View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryan M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2006 at 5:36am

Can you not plug a computer into the omni-drives and use the online software to design your X-over curves? I find its much easier to program the unit as the setup screen is more visually interactive.

I was going to say run the bass in mono, but some-one beat me to it
Dave Slater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Slater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2006 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by rinse rinse wrote:

Embarrassingly, I didn't notice that either.  Bass should be mono already.

little point having anything else as you'll end up with a hotter signal into your amps and a more coherant sound overall but it's especially stupid not to if playing vinyl through it as everything below 120Hz is cut in mono anyway
Nigey-C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigey-C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2006 at 4:17pm
I do have a laptop i could possibley plug into my omnidrive, but what program would i use to make a new preset??
Bryan M View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryan M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2006 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by Nigey-C Nigey-C wrote:

I do have a laptop i could possibley plug into my omnidrive, but what program would i use to make a new preset??

Here is the site for your software update for your omni drive : http://www.bss.co.uk/techsupport/softwareversions.html

and i think this link is for the software you need to pragram the thing : http://www.bss.co.uk/includes/product_sheet_include.aspx?product_id=31

Any problems you have bss are more than accomadating when it comes to customer care
B.
Nigey-C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigey-C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2006 at 7:35pm
I will give BSS a ring beginning of next week then.. i will also get in touch with the guy who i bought the system from... as he knows his way around it quite well
 Post Reply Post Reply