Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stuffing a horn

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommysb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stuffing a horn
    Posted: 27 September 2006 at 1:32pm
Ok, so I've heard that stuffing a transmission line with wool effectively 'reduces the speed of sound', thus making the t-line appear longer, and reducing the cuttoff.

Can one do the same with a horn, effectively making the horn path longer? If yes/no, why?

Cheers,

gingerbiscuit69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gingerbiscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2006 at 2:09pm
no ...... thats just plain stupid! would just muffle it and loose DB!
adambomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2006 at 10:09am
You are correct about the wadding in a TL slowing down the speed of sound (and absorbing higher frequency sounds)... I have a 2 page paper on the subject if your interested...

Using this theory for horns.. dunno.. I would have thought it would defo work for Scoops (which are of course TLs)... but I have no idea about horns.. in theory it should lower the cutoff.. but I don't really have any experience with designing horns...

Edited by adambomb - 29 September 2006 at 10:10am
godathunder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote godathunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2006 at 5:04pm
adambomb, Id be interested in a little looksie at that paper if you have it in electronic form
LOUDER THAN LOUD
kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2006 at 8:08pm
In a reflex box, or in the rear chamber of a horn, then yes like you say the wadding will absorb the sound and slow it down. The sound effectivly thinks it takes longer to reach the sides, and therefore the box/chamber acts as if its bigger than it actually is.

However in the actual horn path of a horn/scoop/TL (or inside the actual path of the ports in a reflex), i would think that it would just block the flow of air and mess things up.

kev
tommysb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommysb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2006 at 6:15am
Definately works in a T-line, i think sheeps wool at a density of 8kg/m3 is recommended, trying to think which book i read it in (an oldie), but i also know someone who's put it into practise, i think his t-line has an f3 of about 17Hz!
adambomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2006 at 11:50am

The Loudspeaker Design Cookbook has a few pages dedicated to this...

The paper I have is about the above, but also avoiding standing waves with the enclosure (no panels square to each other, very interesting read)... its just a photocopied article.. so I will have to scan it and post it here for you... might have to wait a bit as my scanner is burried somewhere..
djtosco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djtosco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2006 at 5:39pm
The problem is that the stuffing material increases dramatically the losses... thus reducing the efficiency of the horn!!
 Post Reply Post Reply