Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > X10, X12, X15 and XM15
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - x12 with  fane drivers - do i need to change cab?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

x12 with fane drivers - do i need to change cab?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: x12 with fane drivers - do i need to change cab?
    Posted: 15 May 2012 at 9:14am
hi,

decided to build some x12s using the budget fane sovereign 12-300 drivers. Do I need to alter the cab layout at all to get the most out of them?

how about port size/lengths?
How do I find this info out! thanks
Absulum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Absulum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2012 at 9:40pm
Erm i have no idea if you need to change the cab or not... BUT download and install winISD (its free), enter the driver parameters (dont think theres a preset for the fane soveriegn 12-300) and enter all the other stuff (2 drivers, 2 ports etc) and it will give you the volume for the box + the port length. Just adjust the dimentions so you get the internal volume you need :)

Edited by Absulum - 15 May 2012 at 9:42pm
herke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 6:18pm
hey thanks. Been playing with winISD most of the day and if i have done it correctly then its suggesting a port length of 105mm for a 95l box (I think this is the correct size for the x12 box)

Does that sound about right? the suggested drivers on the plans only have a port depth the thickness of the wood (18mm)
thanks
Neil
herke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 6:31pm
For a bit more info here are the results I'm getting:

tuning freq of 73.91 < +2.6db at 102 with 18mm port length
tuning freq of 53.19 < flat but 100mm length port

Not seeing a recommended tuning frequency on the Fane PDFs though.
I take it the flat result is best??
Absulum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Absulum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 10:58am
Erm im no expert so not too sure.
However, yes flat result is best (although if necassary this can be dealt with with a little EQ.
I would imagine that going with the 100mm recommended port size would be best.
If you can get hold of some cheep mdf you could knock up a quick prototype and see how it sounds.
Steve_B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 2:22pm

The X12 was designed for specific drive units. If you are using different drive units it is not really an X12.

Unless you just want to stick some drive units in a box and hope for the best you might as well start from scratch. If you are familiar with winisd then you are part the way there.

First up a screen shot. This plots the responses for a number of boxes. Hopefully it is not too confusing. I’ve tried using different background colours but non are that much better than the default.

First I’ll get the purple plots out of the way. These are 90 litre sealed enclosures. One has 6dB of boost added at 80Hz to flatten the response.

Ok. Starting with the light plot that has the lowest response. This is a 180 litre cabinet tuned to 55Hz. The next two plots which have an almost identical response are a 134 litre cabinet tuned to 55Hz and a 90 litre cabinet tuned to 55Hz. The smaller cabinet has eq added to modify the response. 3dB at 65Hz. The red plot is the same 90 litre cabinet with no eq.

Another graph. This time we are looking at the theoretical maximum spl.

At first glance, this appears to have fewer graphs. The reason is that adding eq to alter the response does not change the upper limit to what you can get from a particular drive unit and cabinet. The peak between 50 and 60Hz is the output from the port. In this case, the biggest cabinet produces the biggest peak. From 70 Hz upwards all the reflex cabinets have the same maximum output. Essentially, all you gain from doubling the size of the cabinet (90 to 180ltrs) is about 4dB between 50 and 55Hz. At 40 Hz all the cabinets have the same maximum output.

A final graph shows the group delay.

I’ve added this to firstly show that the bigger cabinets have a higher group delay and secondly to show that going the sealed box route because it has lower group delay is only valid until you apply additional eq to modify the response.

So, which one is best? Well, all of them and none. My optimum might be different from yours. It is up to you to decide is the big cabinet worth it for the slight extra output? Using a higher tuning frequency might knock a several Hz of the lower response but fill in the dip in maximum output at 80Hz. If you are intending to use a sub with this cabinet gaining an extra 4dB at 90Hz could be a better choice.

herke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2012 at 12:54pm
Hey Steve,
Many thanks for the very in-depth response!

These will be used (at least in the meantime) as full range speakers, or as close to them as I can get. they are only going to be in a small room.

Ideally I would want these to be as low as possible, I dont mind making them bigger if that would help. they wont be moved really.

To be honest im only just getting my head round winisd but I feel a bit like this: Smile

I may end up building a 186 sub in the future but thats probably a way off. These are just for the odd party and also a building project.

What do you think is best for these as stand alone?
thanks again

Post Reply Post Reply