Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > MT122
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BMS 12" VS PD12" for hornloading.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2012 at 1:50pm
Kev, Your still the only person that I have sold that driver too, if it has the same sound quality and robustness as the 12N610's they should be Gems.

Tony
www.forteaudio.eu - BMS - db-Mark Processors - Lexon (SAE)
kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2012 at 2:43pm
hey

yeah I'm torn.

Originally I was leaning towards an MT-122 style horn and using the BMS 810, but now to be honest I'm leaning more towards an MT-130 style horn, and there is a very high sensitivity and power handling 18sound driver, the 12MD1000, that has almost exactly the same specs that the original MT-130 driver had (a PD 121) but does 600w at 102db. Its also Ferrite so a little kinder on the pockets.

However that desn't take into account sound quality and as we know, the MT-130s are a little bit of an unknown quantity just now as very few have really built many and no one that I know of has done any meaningful comparison of the two.

So I have a choice of two horns, and two potential drivers, and only way to know for sure is to make some sawdust and try both and see what happens :-)

k

Edited by kevinmcdonough - 20 June 2012 at 4:33pm
SBC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2012 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by Aztor Aztor wrote:

If you could chose the PD123ER/PD121, 12pe32 or BMS 12N810. What would you choose? and why?

Price not relevant.

not the 121.
F.T.S.S.
SebP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SebP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2012 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by kevinmcdonough kevinmcdonough wrote:

However that desn't take into account sound quality and as we know, the MT-130s are a little bit of an unknown quantity just now as very few have really built many and no one that I know of has done any meaningful comparison of the two.

Ask french people, MT-130 is very popular in France.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2012 at 1:22am
haha

yeah have google-translated my way through some of his forum and people rave about them. But again, they dont know the MT-122 as well or at least i havent seen anyone compare them Smile

k
Meat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2012 at 7:30am
I thought Nicky on here had built both.
Don't test the champignon sound
smoore View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2012 at 8:35am
Kevin what is this idea of a v-1000 ported horn? Will plans be available?
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2012 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by smoore smoore wrote:

Kevin what is this idea of a v-1000 ported horn? Will plans be available?

haha typed a big, long, detailed reply to this and the internets killed it so short version Tongue  Basically it's an idea I've been kicking about for a while now.

plan for tops is to make a double 12" version of whatever horn I decide on, with two very high sensitivity/powerhandling drivers and a BMS coax comp. Each one will have a 40 degree horn for the comps so will start with two per side and eventually make a third pair so will have three per side when I want to go wider to 120 degrees.

Overall, it'll be LOUD! LOL and so will need some good subs to go with it, realistically 3 sub horns per top.

I want each cab to be no more than 600mm high so when three are stacked and then the double 12" top put up there its the correct height for the tops in the types of venues/uses I'll be putting it to. And I also want them to be around 600 to 700mm wide on the front face so I can stack them 3 tall by two wide when i use two tops, and three by three when I use three tops, but still not be stupidly wide. 

This gives me a rough idea of front face/mouth area, with the volume of the cab being made up in depth, and wanna keep the design of a single horn to about 300 to 350 litres or so, so that when the actual wood is added in, braces, handles, folding etc etc its still relatively manageable.

Because its a reduced mouth area, it couldn't be a full FLH but I still wanted it to be a horn of some sort to keep sensitivity up so had to be either ported or tapped.

As I'll have to buy 12 and eventually 18 drivers wanted to try for a relitivly affordable driver, £200 ballpark rather than the £350 or so for the better B&C drivers etc (though would quite happily pay if there was one that provided worthwhile advantages).

Needs to play 40 to 120 to be able to meet the tops and stay a 4 way system, doesn't need to go much below that into the 30s because will be mostly for live music and maybe commercial dance etc, not dubstep or anything like that.

I'm still tweeking and playing, but with all those factors being taken into account, I have a first draft of the simulation/horn size and cab layout. Its basically a straight horn for most of it, with one 90 degree fold towards the back of the cab/start of the horn.

Its designed to be played in at least 4's, or sixes for me, so on its one one cab has a rising response not dissimilar to a Martin WLX, starting around 101 or 102db at 40-45Hz and going up to 105 at 120Hz crossover, but once you stack it with others its +/-1db all the way from 40 to up over 200Hz.

As I've discussed on other threads I may also look into combining two in some sort of bifurcated double horn design, but want to make sure i'm happy with the response/sound of one before I try this.

Will be happy to share the plans once I have it nailed down and tested etc, but this probably wont be any time too soon it'll need prototypes and revisions etc to get it to where I'm happy and have lots of things on my plate just now with already started projects, house I'm renovating and day job etc.

k

Edited by kevinmcdonough - 20 June 2012 at 4:22pm
smoore View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2012 at 11:39pm
Whoah, Sounds immense!! All with ya on the cheaper drivers as thats all i can afford! I'm just a student at the moment, lookin to get rid of my 3 cubo's to replace for more sub, so If you ever do release the plans i'll definitely be up for building some and reporting! Although i have no measuring equipment... Make sure you post a topic with the results!

Cheers, Sam
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2012 at 2:15am
haha

yeah but that's all for the future, not meaning to hijack the thread Tongue

k
wouter85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wouter85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2017 at 8:39am

Edited by wouter85 - 21 September 2017 at 8:51am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123