Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > X10, X12, X15 and XM15
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amp for x12 and advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gingaboots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amp for x12 and advice
    Posted: 23 May 2012 at 1:57pm
Hi all - newbie and first post and all that....

Trying to sort out sounds for my band (8 piece Ska outfit) and have sourced some boxes based on the x12 design. Specs (from the guys who built them) are:

18mm White Birch Ply construction.
- Vented cabinet design.
- Eminence Beta 12 LT (8ohm) 12" 450W drivers (wired in parallel for a total 900W power @ 4ohm impedance).
- Eminence ASD1001 (8ohm) 1" 50W Compression Driver
- Flared Horn screwed into Compression Driver.
- Eminence PXB2-5K - 5kHz two-way passive crossover.
- Rear connector panel with 2 x Neutrik 4-pole connectors (only 1 connector functional, other is for show!)
- 2 x 100mm Bass Reflex ports.
- Externally carpeted, unbaffled interior.

What size amp would you recommend to run these? 

My plan is to run these on top of some old 2x18 subs I have (again these were home built many moons ago by a friend and I do not have the specs on these, though they would appear similar to a half depth G-sub ish type thing). All I know is that these have Eminence speakers in them - I suspect these where pretty cheap units (from memory they are blue backed and don't have anything stamped/marked to say what output they are).

I currently have a Production Services SP2400 amp (are these any good??) that I have previously used for the subs and an old Hill LC800 that has been used to run smaller top cabs (guessing this is way to small for these tops)

My thoughts have been to use the SP2400 for the tops and to try to track down something bigger for the subs (would need to be cheap so maybe Proline T3000 or some such). I realise that the amp rack would be stupidly heavy - but as an 8 piece band there are plenty of hands to shift stuff!! The system needs to be able to play for crowds of up to 300/400 people - above this level we would usually either hire in or have sound provided by venue/organiser etc

Thoughts, recommendations and offers of cheap amps at throwaway money gratefully received.

Cheers all
 Post Reply Post Reply