Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'Old School' amp recommedation?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2012 at 2:08pm
What about a Harrison 2500, I've got some of them knocking around.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2012 at 2:22pm
Have you still got that monster 5000 Tony?
Be seeing you.
Mhamplification View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mhamplification Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2012 at 3:16pm
Greg

the C Audio`s are great amps  easily fixable if they do go wrong and parts available especially a SR606/707 if you can find one
Also consider  QSC`s   the  USA series is good and old school  or a bit newer the JBL badged MPX range  I think they are EX series      Are the original PLX range considered old school yet ?
Or any of the old big  Crown/ Amcrons  Bugger to fix though if they go wrong !!!

Another thing to consider is it going to be used every day  or once every 6 months  Amps like cars need to be used regularly    Most of my old H/H amps were dead or  a channel down on taking out of storage 

Martin
GAZ. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAZ. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2012 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by GregM GregM wrote:

Can anybody point me to that really helpful PPX whole range spec sheet somebody posted on SP a few months ago?, I thought I'd saved a copy somewhere but I'll be darned if I can find it!

I want to check the PPX900 specs - I thought it was 450wpc into 4r not 8r.  If it is 450wpc into 8r, I'd then be very interested in what it produces into 4r because one of those could meet my current needs into 8r cabs and later expansion into 4r.

Greg

Yes you are right, must have been having a brain fart when I posted!
To achieve the wattage you want at 8 ohm you need either the PPX 1200 or 1600. The 1200 is 400wpc at 8 and the 1600 is 480wpc at 8.
Its also worth noting that the PPX's put out more than thair rated output anyways, a PPX 900 actually puts out very close to 1000 watts.

Also I have the PPX comparison table if you still wanted to look at it?

Edited by GAZ. - 10 June 2012 at 4:04pm
100% Earth Moving Bass
GregM View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2012 at 4:47pm
Yay, lads, lenty more for me to think about:

The suggestion of a QSC Series 3 3800 looks to be spot on - exactly the sort of spec I'm after so I'll be keeping my eyes open for one of those

Tony - suggesting the Harrison 2500 is an interesting idea, I've got a Harrison M900 stashed away althought I'm a little suspect about it's reliability (but for absolutely no valid reason!).  Are the 2500's solid old beasts?, and as you've got 'some' knocking around, would you miss one or two??

Gaz - definitely interested in seeing the PPX comparison table again please.

Martin - I think you've actually hit the nail squarely on the head.  My thoughts around solid old reliability probably come from the same place as yours about regular use etc - my kit comes out to play about 5-6 time a year, mainly over the summer months and again when my daughter's band mates can get it together (i.e. rarely!).  It makes a whole lot of sense for me to focus on Mosfet amps, so if and when they need tlc, you'll not have to spend months sourcing parts Wink.

So, PPX900/1200, Harrison 2500, QSC 3800 or something from the the earlier Peavey or C-Audio ranges ..... cheers guys.

Greg

Edited by GregM - 10 June 2012 at 4:48pm
Remember, if you don't want to hear the answer, don't ask the question!
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2012 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

Have you still got that monster 5000 Tony?
No that went with the first batch, I've got 3 2500's and a 1200 left.
knet94 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knet94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2012 at 11:37pm
Tony, have you got any pics of the Harrison 2500s or the 5000. Really interested to see these as the biggest Harrison amp I owned was a 2000.
VSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2012 at 10:43am
If anyone still needs the PPX comparison table , pm me I have it on file .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12