Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > X10, X12, X15 and XM15
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

X12 under construction

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jogge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X12 under construction
    Posted: 07 October 2004 at 9:54am
Hi peepz,

I recently started building the X12 design from Rog.  Instead of the Selenium horn and P Audio adaptor I'm using an 1.4" Beyma horn (TD565) with 60°x40° beamwidth.

I'm left with a couple questions though:

* because the horn is slightly bigger than the HL14-50 I was thinking of increasing the height of the cab by 10 cm.  Can I get away with this?

* Because the Beyma horn has a wider beamwidth than the HL14-50 do I have to alter the angle of the cabs to prevent lobbing?

* Does the cab need wadding?

* The SD740N I ordered has an impedanz of 8 ohms. 2 SN12MB in parallel is 4 ohms.  Is the VX3 from Pro Audioparts suitable or do I need to design my own crossover?  Or better using an active crossover for the X12?

regards,
Jochen

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.
Timber_MG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber_MG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2004 at 10:20am
Passive crossovers are designed to work well with specific drivers in well-known cabs. Using a different horn would change the frequency/phase and polar response of the cab and it's quite possible that the design might work , but not to the extent of an optimal design (synergism is the word).

The Selenium horn used is not of the constant directivity type, where as I think that that Beyma is (I speak under correction), hence if you are bent on using the cab, an active crossover might be a much safer bet, as CD horns need rising response to correct for the compression driver's falling power response.

Generally one makes the angles of the side of the cab to equal a quater (1/4) of the coverage angle of the horn.

Hope this helps

Martin
Timber_MG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber_MG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2004 at 10:33am
Heya

Another thing is that IIRC the P.Audio driver has a 1.5" exit. It might thus be wize to use a horn with a 1.5" entry, as the mismatch could cause ripple in the HF response.

Martin
RayVaughn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayVaughn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2004 at 11:51am
If you've got the budget to use an active crossover and another amp there are a lot of benefits in terms of control and protection.
With a digi x-over you can time align the horn, apply eq and per band limiting - all good news.
---------------
Ray Vaughn and on
www.innerfield.co.uk
www.rocketfestival.com
jerre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2005 at 2:09pm

hello,

what is a good horn instead of the selenium one, this because the selenium horn is to hard to get for me. It's the intention to use 2 x12's /side, active crossed is no prob and I can choose between p.audio & beyma horns. I was thinking like above a td565 or maybe I should go for another driver?!?

second question, how would the 122nd or mi100 driver from beyma fit in the x12?

Edited by jerre
 Post Reply Post Reply