Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

APB's new console, VCA?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TD_Mave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: APB's new console, VCA?
    Posted: 13 October 2006 at 10:39am
OK,
I've been in pro-sound my fair share of years, but did I miss the class on VCA?  What is it?  My venue will soon be updating our FOH equip.  Part of that update is getting a new APB C56+4 broad.  And all I read about is how it doesn't use analog subgroupes, but has VCA grouping.  Ok, fine; what is VCA?
  We just  finished  the house speaker replacement, EAW Ax stuff and QSC Cx amps.....Light Viper, London Cobra net, fun toys! anyway,,...
Thanks for any wisdom,
David
godathunder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote godathunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2006 at 3:02pm
VCA stands for voltage controlled amplifier - in your case it will mean that instead of sending all the channels to a group (ie another channel), each of the channels assigned to the vca will have its volume adjusted by the vca fader its assigned to in addition to the channel fader. its a bit like having another communal volume control in line with the channels but the vca fader actually controls the voltage controlling the gain of an opamp or similar in each channel assigned to it. so youre controlling the volume of a group of channels but without summing them together into an actual group
LOUDER THAN LOUD
james folkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james folkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2006 at 7:30am
you ceratinly have missed out! voltage control amplifiers are the basis of pretty much any analogue elctronis sythesiser, first popularised by the late robert moog. their application in mixers and the like is particulary relevant. by using vca you avoid routing signal through the fader, a ready place to introduce noise or channel bleed on a cross fader. also, as it is simply a control circuit, you can adjsut the parameters of the relating output voltage to change the countour of the faders on the fly, nice!

james.
mardy hippy.
TD_Mave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TD_Mave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2006 at 4:13pm
Thank you guy's so much for the input.

Have a good one!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply