Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Showco Horns

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2018 at 12:05pm
Not wide enough for the special magic single seat that most hifi nerds like to design to? Keeping it off the walls is a good goal, no?
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2018 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Not wide enough for the special magic single seat that most hifi nerds like to design to? Keeping it off the walls is a good goal, no?

As far as I have read, bouncing off the wall is not a huge problem for some will dampen their rooms. They also use very low powered amplifiers so volume is not a factor in their case. However they are very particular about the ear piercing sound that narrow dispersion horns project when they are sitting directly in front their speakers.  So the end results of sitting in front of a narrow dispersion horn can be like one standing in front of a Trumpet Player.

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2018 at 2:37pm
That seems like an absolutely massive generalisation. The coverage pattern of a horn does not dictate it's overall sound, the design of the horn and the components plus tuning etc does.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2018 at 3:45pm

That seems like an absolutely massive generalisation. The coverage pattern of a horn does not dictate it's overall sound, the design of the horn and the components plus tuning etc does.

The average consumer gives generalisations. They are concerned with aesthetics and the end result.

Best Regards,    

Elliot Thompson
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2018 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

The average consumer gives generalisations. They are concerned with aesthetics and the end result.

Best Regards,    

So we're leaping from 'hifi nerds' and 'audiophiles' to 'average consumer' to suit your point?
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2018 at 3:54pm

Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

Best Regards,    

So we're leaping from 'hifi nerds' and 'audiophiles' to 'average consumer' to suit your point?

Define the difference amongst the three. 

Best Regards, 

Elliot Thompson
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2018 at 9:45pm
Erm. HiFi nerds and audiophiles are not the average consumer?

Was an easy one in honesty.
Beast View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2018 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by odc04r odc04r wrote:

Erm. HiFi nerds and audiophiles are not the average consumer?

Was an easy one in honesty.

Indeed. Look at what the Japanese enthusiasts are doing with large format vinatge JBL comps and biradials. They have a preference for the tighter dispersion 2365 over the 2360. The point source from 500hz-12k or higher and the directional nature of a system using a big horn in the optimum listening position is very desirable. the sound has got to your ears before any reflection has had a chance to.
doller View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2018 at 10:22am
I think that the main music listened to by the Japanese enthusiasts is jazz. Alot that I know prefere a single fostex or old school jbl. Something like a d130. I really do not get where they are coming from. Bass lacks and trebble is none existant. Balance. Remember also that they live in pretty small houses. Their listening rooms are not that big so narrow dispertion would not be an issue I guess. Also proberbly pretty low volume too. Speakers like the old Goodmans axiom, Richard Allen, Vitavox, JBL, Tannoy, Altec and Semans ect make big money here.
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2018 at 11:11am
Originally posted by doller doller wrote:

I think that the main music listened to by the Japanese enthusiasts is jazz. Alot that I know prefere a single fostex or old school jbl. Something like a d130. I really do not get where they are coming from. Bass lacks and trebble is none existant. Balance. Remember also that they live in pretty small houses. Their listening rooms are not that big so narrow dispertion would not be an issue I guess. Also proberbly pretty low volume too. Speakers like the old Goodmans axiom, Richard Allen, Vitavox, JBL, Tannoy, Altec and Semans ect make big money here.

I sold a pair of axioms and a pair of Goodmans trebax  horns with attenuators last year, I thought they would be worth a few quid so put offers, a guy from Japan offered me a massive amount of money plus he would arrange freight from the UK, I excepted thinking it was a joke, the money was in my account the same day and a company that make freight boxes picked them up the next day to make foam lined wooden boxes to ship them In, the guy in Japan could not thank me enoughShocked
doller View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2018 at 1:05pm
told you so. they love this stuff. Get digging in the shed.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123