Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

alice A series mixing desk

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: alice A series mixing desk
    Posted: 14 July 2012 at 6:41pm
got one of these from a freind for 80 quid (alice A series)

wow it sounds amazing ,
im running a formula sound fsm 600 into it and the balance of sound character works realy well.

anybody used them before or know anything about them?
iv tried to download the manual but the link doesnt seem to work.

it also has quite a bit of background hiss i cant seem to eliminate with any kind of gain architecture,
anyone up for servicing it for me??
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2012 at 7:05pm
For eighty quid it's a bargain... if it all works and depending on what modules it's got in it.
I've used them several times doing RSL radio stations and have never had any hiss whatsoever.
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
matty w View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2012 at 7:19pm
out of interest whats your oppinion on the sound quality?? i personaly was very impressed , to me its very natural and dynamic and very clear,but when used on its own sounds a bit eager lol but with the fsm infront of it smooths/balances out??

theres a couple a crackly channels, infact not so much crackly but cuts in and out.

other than that, the hiss,its not just sibiliance around 10k ,theres an element of body to the hiss,its not a hum thoughlol,i.e it comes through the mids as well.

bit of a head do,it kinda spoils it
im guessing (massively guessing) it needs some output components replacing i.e smoothing caps or the rf rejection circuit??   knows lol

DrDantastic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrDantastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2012 at 8:20pm
My neighbour's dad started Alice sound, really interesting career this guy has had. I'm still trying to get my hands on some of his old stock.
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2012 at 9:15pm
Think you might be right with the leaky caps bit. A damn good service and it'll be back to A1! Don't know where you're based to recommend anyone.
Sound quality wise it should be a very natural sounding desk, i.e. no tailoring of the sound whatsoever. All the crap sounding EQ, sorry, processing to make it sound punchy (Not Alf Mate!) came after the desk. Everytime I did a show, whether from the A Series on the RSL's or from the Air 2000 series i used on the ILR's, I'd make a snoop tape on MiniDisc and they always sounded sweet as.
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
boab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2012 at 10:55pm
Ive got an old Alice 828.
I really like it for recording and even use the Limiter.
Sowter transformers on the Mic.
I re-capped/ cleaned all the pots and put new copper bus bars. This made a big difference.
Good luck with it.
Boab
Alice Soundtech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alice Soundtech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2014 at 4:33pm
Hi Spares are now available from http://alicesoundtech.com
guntherbuffalo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guntherbuffalo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2017 at 11:01pm
I am on a wild goose chase for an Alice 828, or even an Alice ad62 if available. 

Anyone looking to part with one?

Edited by guntherbuffalo - 12 December 2017 at 11:21pm
 Post Reply Post Reply