Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > HD 15 horn
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD215 Build

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MessyM2k8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD215 Build
    Posted: 15 July 2012 at 12:49pm
This is my second attempt at building the HD215's. Unfortuantely for the first attempt i decided to use cheapish ply, when i tested the cabs the plys rattled so all i could do was start again.

This time no messing around i went to B&Q and bought some reasonable 13L Birch Ply ( i think its BB x B grade). Also this time i decided as i was using proper ply i thought i better have a go at rebating the panels. So i bought a sheet of 18mm MDF to make the jig for the router.

I haven't taken many build pics of the first one but i will be building another 3 over the next couple of weeks so will get some more pictures of them

It took a couple of attemps to get the jig right, i used a 22mm x 20mm router bit to cut the template this is because i have a 22mm collar for my router. Here is the final template.

This is a picture of the bottom or top and the back after rebating

Here is the front of the completed cabinet, still needs filling sanding and painting, i may get some grills made up for them as well.

This is the back of the cabinet, i've added a DPDT 30A switch so the cabinets can be switched from 4ohms to 16ohms using an 8 ohm driver or 2ohms and 8ohms using a 4 ohm driver

Finally a close up of the switch and speakons

For my first attempt at rebating i don't think it went too badly the only thing i need to watch next time is the depth of the router, it went 1mm out a couple of times so instead of 5mm i was rebating 6mm. Also i used an 18mm router to do the rebating and i did find that a hammer was needed to slot some of the panels in, not a bad thing i suppose because it holds them tight but it was a struggle getting the top panel on.

I will take more pictures of the next builds.

Edited by MessyM2k8 - 15 July 2012 at 7:23pm
MessyM2k8 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MessyM2k8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2012 at 12:59pm
Here is the drivers they will be loaded with,

These are the new drivers from Tayden Loudspeakers, more info (TS Parameters) will be available soon. This is rated Conservatively at 600W RMS, I tested them on one side of a PKN 4k and they where very happy..... They also do a 12" and an 18" version, i do have the TS parameters for the 18" if anyone is interested.....
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2012 at 6:11pm
  Nice workClap, don't forget to take plenty of pictures when you build the others.Smile
colossal sound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colossal sound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2013 at 6:27pm
Nice work mate looking good where did you get the plans I've been looking for them ages

Edited by colossal sound - 20 February 2013 at 6:28pm
Adam_Iron_Horse View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam_Iron_Horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2013 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by colossal sound colossal sound wrote:

Nice work mate looking good where did you get the plans I've been looking for them ages

Take 2 hd15s and stick em together.
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2013 at 11:27pm
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2013 at 11:30pm
insted of making the curved section, divide it into 5 equal sections.....
colossal sound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colossal sound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2013 at 11:55pm
I did think that but thought it sounded too easy
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2013 at 12:01am
the box would be 1138mm x 578mm x 508mm
 Post Reply Post Reply