Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > HD 15 horn
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

hd 15 mitre

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jungle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hd 15 mitre
    Posted: 23 July 2012 at 12:53am
good afternoon guys. i have been  coming here for years but i think this is my first post. i started building my hd 15s. but i just ran in a snag. i do not know how to cut the angles over 45 degrees because my saw only goes to 45. i have read all the post on here. any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2012 at 1:13am
I made a 90 degree block that clamps to my table saw, and fed the piece of wood through vertically. 
James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2012 at 1:41am
Or if you have no other option, cut it at 45deg then use a plane/sander to get it as close as you can.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2012 at 1:44am
Are you just talking about the corner piece (top right of side view).  If so, I would be tempted to say don't worry about it.  Cut it at 45deg both ends and be done with it.  It's so close I doubt it'll make any significant difference.
jungle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jungle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2012 at 3:08am
yes i am talking about the corner and the baffle angles. 
jungle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jungle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2012 at 3:09am
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2012 at 7:28pm
  +1 for what ceharden says, when I built my HDs I wasn't too clever with the table saw so i cut the corner pieces at 45 degrees and cut the mitres on the baffle with an electric planer and they turned out fine.Smile
jungle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jungle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2012 at 12:27am
thanks allots guys i will try and see what i can do with the baffle. wish me luck.
Neurosub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neurosub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2013 at 4:06pm
for the corner piece it has to add up to 90 degrees.

I just made 2x HD215, and i did one at the proper angle and I did one at 45 / 45.
Can not tell difference. 

The true angle is 40 degrees and 50 degrees...obviously tapering out as the throat / horn must continue to expand as it goes out the mouth...
 Post Reply Post Reply