Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TV vs Live

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TV vs Live
    Posted: 18 August 2012 at 12:32am
Just been watching an Andy Williams compilation show on BBC2 showing stuff from 1963 to the early 1970s. Now, I think Andy is one of the best male vocalists of all times  - alongside Nat King Cole and possibly the UK's Matt Monro - possibly (definitely) not my first choice of musical styles, but great talent, none-the-less. What I find amazing is the audio mix of the shows from US TV in those days - the US also had colour TV several years before the UK - the audio mix seems absolutely brilliant. I think back to the mid sixties and the TV video/audio quality in the UK which seemed very hit and miss looking back on it - far away from the output of the top recording studios in the UK at the time, which listening back to remastered albums from, say the 1967 Abbey Road recordings such as Sgt. Pepper/The Piper At the Gates Of Dawn/SF Sorrow show how the original recordings were top rate and the quality is carried through the various re-mastering/remixing processes and hold up against many modern audio recordings. It seems strange that recorded sounds seem to have stayed on a (high) plateau - with obvious improvements made possible by technology (but not that reason alone) - whereas live sound has made improvements in leaps and bounds - but still doesn't really hit the button (so to speak) so that it is like sitting in front of your  (very loud) TV, except perhaps when watching a DVD/Blu-Ray which has gone through what seems to be extreme post-production re-mastering/editing to make it seem perfect (auto-tune/ overdubbing etc). 
When was the last time any of you folks out went to a live show which sounded and felt like it was pretty much perfect - not just live and loud - but like a studio album? Video-wise for me it would be the Pulse tour by Pink Floyd, which I didn't manage to see live, but I have it on good authority was as good live as on on video.
For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2012 at 12:52am
Last one I was really impressed with was Luther Van driver at Wembley in the round with Dina Carol was a Turbo rig and sounded just like I was at home listening the a CD on the Hi-Fi amazing sound in a really difficult room.
I think the trouble with recorded sound now days is to much compression TV, DVD & CD.
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
 Post Reply Post Reply