Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Taking apart a Bose 802 controller

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chickenfizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Taking apart a Bose 802 controller
    Posted: 31 August 2012 at 3:16pm
Hello, clearly I'm being stupid here. Has anyone managed to take one of these apart before?

It has two female XLRs on the inputs which are riveted to the OUTSIDE of the back panel, it has 6 jack sockets which are on the PCB on the inside of the case. The case is all one piece of folded steel. All the sockets are soldered to the inaccessible underside of the PCB so I really can't see how to take the damn thing apart!

Picture attached.

studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2012 at 4:21pm
you'll probably have to drill the rivets out, then undo all the retaining nuts on the jack sockets. put it back together with little machine screws, for the sake of the next poor bugger who has to fix it ;)
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
teslaman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teslaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2012 at 4:23pm
The plastic "inner" part of the XLR must separate from the outer metal part. See if there are any obvious ways of unclipping the two apart and if not try gently pulling them apart. Its the only possible way of it being built I think?
chickenfizz View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chickenfizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2012 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by studio45 studio45 wrote:

you'll probably have to drill the rivets out, then undo all the retaining nuts on the jack sockets. put it back together with little machine screws, for the sake of the next poor bugger who has to fix it ;)
Hehe, I knew someone would suggest that :) it's not the rivets that are the problem, it's the inside/outside panel mount connectors that stop the board being removed in either direction.

Teslaman, thanks, I think you must be right as there is no other way I can think of, they are standard old style neutrik XLR-F, I can't see a way of separating the plastic inner but that must be the answer. Anyone know the trick?
teslaman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teslaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2012 at 4:35pm
I have a recollection that I have actually done this exact thing before but can't remember the exact knack (was the same style 802 controller!). Is there a blind hole on the face of the XLR's? If so try poking something down it as I have a suspicion it releases the housing...
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chickenfizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2012 at 4:50pm
Your suspicion was correct! I have often wondered about what the 4th hole was for on certain XLRs and now I know, I managed to work it out by the shape of the metal on the barrel of the XLR, there's a little groove that's designed to allow a piece of metal to slide through it. Stick a flat-head screwdrive down the hole, rotate it about 1/8th turn anti-clockwise (it's quite stiff) and the plastic inner slides smoothly out no problem.
:)

Thank you all, I now have it in bits!
technoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote technoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2012 at 5:00pm
It's simple. The inner bit of the XLR which is soldered to the main PCB board slides into the outer metal bit which is rivited to the back panel. The inner bit is released by a small hole which is located above the XLR connection pins. Just get hold of a small flat bladed screwdriver & put it down the hole & turn it either to the left or to the right until the inner plastic bit releases from the outer shell. Hope this helps Wink
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chickenfizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2012 at 6:49pm

Thanks technoman, you're spot-on, got there in the end, fixed the fault now and it's back together, the electronics were very easy compared with the disassembly, I've definitely learned something today :)

Post Reply Post Reply