Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Backing up files

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AM55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Backing up files
    Posted: 27 September 2012 at 10:21pm

Is there anything out there that will allow me to back up my music easily and keep two separate copies? I am thinking something like 2 hard drives where the second automatically clones the first.
Kr3 DSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kr3 DSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2012 at 10:49pm
RAID 1 ? 
Kr3

Destiny Sound System.uk

kr3dss@googlemail.com
Kr3 DSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kr3 DSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2012 at 10:53pm
http://www.pcworld.com/article/132877/RAID.html
Kr3

Destiny Sound System.uk

kr3dss@googlemail.com
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2012 at 11:36pm
you could just wright a small BAT file that copies all your files over... or tera-copy... it will copy over all your music but not copy ones you already have, so it just copies all the new ones Approve

..and my spelling sucks A.S.S.

Edited by mini-mad - 27 September 2012 at 11:37pm
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2012 at 3:47am
Don't use RAID-1, it is not a cloning protocol, it's a resilience protocol, a delete command on VOL 1 will kill your back-up on Vol-2

Your best bet is a second HDD either in a caddy in your machine or external (eSATA ideally) with a a small batch file to Xcopy the files or if you wanna get clever WinRAR so you can compress on back-up....
Sheggy View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2012 at 5:36pm
A good question this. I've been looking at something that could archive and mirror 2-3T. I've had the Synology network drives recommend to me and I might go with that. Very cheap nowadays.

I had a 500 GB drive go down a year ago, had backups but this really made me think about losing important data. Now I want to archive all my recordings at 44.1/16, 10,000 photos and video but I'm still nervous about this.

s

shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2012 at 6:43pm
Funnily enough one of my customer have just bought a cyrus HiFi and I got him a 12Tb Synology box (runs Raid-5 so 10Tb exposed) he has spent nearly a year ripping all his CDs into it, we are now thinking buying a second one (I use www.span.com in tolworth) to back-up the first is a plan, purely because the £1000 the unit cost is nothing compared to the time spent ripping the discs and his CD collection lives in Spain and had to be bought over a Suitcase at a time......
There are products such a Double-take that will automaticly back-up your stuff, if you have have a brain batch-files can be used but how secure do you want it? Ideally put the NAS box in your loft with a little UPS so it is away from your PC (my friend had here iMac and time machine nicked awhile ago and lost all her data) but the truth is the hardware side of computers is of very low value compared to the content....
Sheggy View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2012 at 7:44pm
Hmm. That interesting Shaug. I do use cloud storage for tech data but this isn't as important as pictures of my family and my (>10,000) reggae and soul vinyl collection, most of which I haven't ripped yet. I live in a high crime area and I keep a safe tucked away [police want me to have these but they don't contain anything of importance]. I don't have anything I couldn't afford to lose except my records and my photos.

Perhaps cloud storage is the solution for storing data that can't be burgled or damaged by fire, flood etc. Might get expensive though. An HDD in the attic is ok but what about a fire? I can back up on my drives at work which offers the advantage of a different geographical location but we're talking about data that I'd want to pass on after retirement. It's a big deal so. I wake up at night over this, I really do!

s
richardhx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardhx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2012 at 7:11pm
Sneaker mail a copy on a large hard drive to a friend in a different area. If know people in similar need, then do an exchange of HDDs, so that worse case, there is a Hard drive (or drives) with full backup on them...
making the word clear
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2012 at 12:41am
If you are gonna let drive out into the wild WinRAR every file with aleast a 24 character passphrase (winrar offers surprising harse encrytion, particularly if you split the acheive and Email one section to you hotmail account!!!)
jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2012 at 10:07am
I use a double backup method. I use BT's Digital Vault as a cloud system (50Gb £4.99/Month) - I have had several problems with it over the years, but I keep stuff like my photos on it. It's easy to use and runs in the background, and after the initial (very long) backup) it is set to check every few hours for changes which are added to the cloud backup. Then, I use Easeus Partition Master to clone my hard disk which I find is really good - I use an old version which was a freebie from PCPro magazine - and I use it as regularly as possible using a machine mounted HDD. The process takes a few minutes of hands on intervention, then re-boots the machine and completes the full disk clone by automatically on auto-pilot. 
I would like to have an off-site copy of all my families HDDs but can't justify it at the moment - apart from my wifes photos (which I again back up to a spare HDD in a cartridge using Easeus) - there is very little of value to warrant the expenditure of £100 or so for an external removeable drive). I may rethink this if our house burns down but at present I am happy with this solution.
Apart from Digital Vault and a version of MS Office someone gave me (un-installed from their PC and registered to me) all my software is freeware or simple a freebie - my wife and kids can't get by without MS Office on their PCs but I really do begrudge paying out for software which is soon outdated or superceded - I prefer the freedom of choice that free software gives you.
For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.
 Post Reply Post Reply