Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Reducing vibration from bass passing into building
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reducing vibration from bass passing into building

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcsb36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reducing vibration from bass passing into building
    Posted: 08 October 2012 at 8:20am
I have problems with bass from 2x15" bins passing into building structure. The bins are currently just on the floor and placed in the corner of a supporting wall. I was going to move them away from the corner and Place them in the middle of the wal l this should reduce it a bit.

My dilemma is to fly the bins with power drive Antivibration in line mounts or to put the bins on anti vibration matting. Could any one advise which solution would reduce the building vibration most. Any one who could recommend some matting would be appreciated.

I realise it won't stop airborne vibration but the main problem is the supporting wall vibrating 3 floors up in a flat.

The bass bins are old logic. I was also wondering if new bins with a better build quality would help with vibration.
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2012 at 9:30am
For a static system, I used to put the bass cabs in trays of silver sand. This completely isolates the cabs from the floor, and I still do it with Hi Fi stuff. As you have realized, it won't stop airborne problems, but it will help with mechanical vibration.
jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2012 at 9:44am
Originally posted by TONY.A.S.S. TONY.A.S.S. wrote:

For a static system, I used to put the bass cabs in trays of silver sand. This completely isolates the cabs from the floor, and I still do it with Hi Fi stuff. As you have realized, it won't stop airborne problems, but it will help with mechanical vibration.
+1 for the sand concept. Sand is often used as an isolation medium when building studios - the outer shell is built on a thick layer of sand and the inner shells are floated/isolated with rubber/springs as required. Stops sound coming in or going out through the foundations.
For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.
jcsb36 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcsb36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2012 at 11:07am
Can I check what depth of sand would you use I guess the deeper the better. Can I also check would a more efficient well built cabinet help. Would using a horn loaded cab help.
biotec View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biotec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2012 at 11:24am
If you have a more substantial part of the building structure nearby, attaching the speaker to it will help reduce the vibrations. Floor joists will always resonate badly, unless perhaps they are steel and part of the structure). What kind of structure is the building? Concrete frame with blockwork infill? Steel frame? brickwork with timber floors and roof?
me so horny, me love you long throw.
 Post Reply Post Reply